Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   starting timing belt / cooling system (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/starting-timing-belt-cooling-system-26689/)

dualaudi 04-01-2008 10:53 AM

starting timing belt / cooling system

okay, the V6 GALANT is a BITCH!!! to work on. do we really need 30 bolts on the motor mount to get to the timing belt? Mother effers!

Also, took off intake manifold to replace plugs/wires, who designes a motor where you have to take the manifold off to change plugs... I would recomend having the belt/water pump taken to a shop...

blk n tan 04-01-2008 11:48 AM

RE: starting timing belt / cooling system

ORIGINAL: dualaudi
Also, took off intake manifold to replace plugs/wires, who designes a motor where you have to take the manifold off to change plugs
get a 4 banger if you can't hang :)

yeah its not a plesant experience but its par for the course on v6's

dualaudi 04-01-2008 01:25 PM

Need help! got a timing belt kit that did not come with the "hydrolic" tensioner. just the rollers..

anyone know of a place i can order one? dealer has it for $130... trying for somewhere cheaper.

blk n tan 04-01-2008 03:08 PM

does it need a tensioner? you don't have to replace the tensioner when you replace the timing belt. its just cheap insurance to where if the tensioner fails you won't have to go in there and do it all over again.

you're doing plugs AND a t- belt?

dualaudi 04-01-2008 04:28 PM

Everything at once.

Plugs 80-100k ngk's bkr6ex-something - $7x6
Wires - $80
valve cover gaskets - $40
Timing belt - $95
Water pump - $107
Thermostat - $23
Radiator - $125
seals (crankcase and whatnot) - $15x2
--
tensioner $135

Just picked up the adjustable tensioner at dealer total cost on all parts - bout $700.

jgbrules 04-01-2008 10:06 PM

Hello!! LOL!! if you cant get that intake off in about 10 minutes your backing up!! small price to pay for the extra power a v6 gives you. blk n tan is right. hydraulic tensioner shouldnt have to be replaced unless its bad. some aftermarket parts houses carry them, but they are not the same quality as a factory part. as critical as the t-belt is,spend the money and feel good that it wont go bad!! the aftermarket one?? you never know what your getting!!! good luck!! greg...

dualaudi 04-02-2008 06:17 PM

hahah.. yeah 10 mins.. well i got it back on in 15 mins... just need to finish replacing camshaft seals and i'm DONE! hope i did everything that needs to be done to this beast..

dualaudi 04-03-2008 05:11 AM

OMG the timing belt is a bitch to get on with the new hydrolic tensioner... i need a special tool to move the tensioner roller up about 6mm or more... there is no GIVE on that timing belt...

Does anyone know what that tool is to get the tensioner roller to move up in order for me to get the new hydro tensioner in?

dualaudi 04-10-2008 11:26 AM

nevermind, i figured out i needed to loosen the tensioner roller...

new problem : front valve cover new gaskit LEAKS like a bitch..

RMUDBUGS 04-10-2008 05:29 PM

Hows that? Once a month!;)