Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Galant (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/)
-   -   What's wrong with my brakes!? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-galant-13/whats-wrong-my-brakes-16793/)

Exist 02-22-2007 07:08 AM

What's wrong with my brakes!?

I seriously don't understand what's wrong with my brakes, i've had this problem since last year and I still haven't been able to solve it. My brakes work but it seems there's a delay in how fast they work, there's no resistance at all when I press the brake pedal, the thing is that the brake pedal goes down too easy. It seems when I brake on speeds above 60mph that my brakes take longer to work than when i'm traveling speeds 40mph. Can someone explain what's wrong with my brakes? Thanks[8D]

WPSpyderGT01 02-22-2007 08:04 AM

RE: What's wrong with my brakes!?

upgrade your to new rotors or pads... or even both? and when your going 60mph.. obviously your going to have to take longer to stop then when your going 40mph... the more speed the more distance required.. but what i think it is you need to get new rotors or atleast pads... when you brake you dont hear a sqeak or squeal do you? if you do you need new pads.

adinator 03-07-2007 12:16 AM

have you tried bleeding tour brakes? that can make it feel like your stepping on a marshmellow and hard to stiop
[align=left] [/align]

Sebba 03-07-2007 12:26 AM

Yeah i was going to say bleed your brakes. Maybe a change of pads or rotors is needed but its impossible to tell without seeing them.

ComposeEvo 03-07-2007 05:53 AM

You most likely have air in your brake lines. Bleed your brakes not only fromt the brake fluid resevoir, but from each individual brake line. Figure out which one is leaking out the most air. If needed, replace the brake line. If that doesnt work, then change the rear brake cylinder for the drums in the rear. Some pop and leak air out.

If that doesnt work, then change or shave your rotors, they may be warped and causing your brakes to fail, and finally as a last option, your brake pads.

Let me know how it goes
Gus

99galant 03-13-2007 03:20 AM

i think i need new pads too lol. my brakes squek a lot. even on 2 miles per hour. lol

Sebba 03-13-2007 04:10 AM

Squeek is ok. Grinding or metal on metal sounds... are not ok. Still, have them checked.

silvercoupe97 03-13-2007 05:30 AM

To further add detail to Sebba's post.
Squeaking is the indicator trying to tell you to change them...now. Grinding means, you're putting a groove onto the rotors.
Check your rotors and feel them. If they aren't smooth and flat, you will also need new rotors. You can't get those turned.

damek 04-01-2007 02:10 AM

AFTER YOU BLEED YOUR BRAKES AND CHANGE THE PADS AND ADD NEW BRAKE FLUID( I HOPE YOU ALREADY KNEW TO DO ALL OF THESE THINGS) THEN TAKE A SKILLSAW OUT AND TAKE OFF YOUR WHEELS AND BRAKE CALIPERS THEN TAKE THE SKILLSAW AND PLACE THE BLADE ON THE ROTER AND TURN IT ON - VERY CAREFULLY - IVE DONE THIS A FEW TIMES AND IM NOW EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT TO DO, ANYWAYS JUST GRIND THE ROTOR DOWN ABOUT 5 MILLIMETERS THEN PUT EVERYTHIGN BACK TOGETHER - FOR ALL 4 WHEELS IT TOOK ME ABOUT 18 HOURS AND I DO THIS ABOUT 4 TIMES A YEAR EACH TIME MY BREAKING PERFORMANCE SHOOTS UP I'D SAY ABOUT 70 PERCENT

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Sebba 04-01-2007 02:33 AM

Easy on the caps there bud