Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   02 Lancer OZ Jerking Engine (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/02-lancer-oz-jerking-engine-29702/)

pwitoslaw 10-17-2008 05:15 PM

02 Lancer OZ Jerking Engine

I purchased the car about 4 months ago at 55000 miles and since then car is shaking and jerking including my gear stick when i either apply or remove my leg from the accelerator its happening on every gear when RPM is in between 1500 and 2500 the higher the gear its less noticeable the most jerking i feel on second and third any suggestions what could be wrong ?. My mechanic said that this is normal for small engine but the jerking gives very unpleasant driving experience. Please Help!!!... I forgot to mention that the jerking is nonexistent when car is cold but after it warms up that's when the jerking begins.

BEAT 10-20-2008 06:21 AM

RE: 02 Lancer OZ Jerking Engine

GOD!!! you got a big problem.

did you tune up the car?
did you exchange transmission fluid?

Try and do those 2 first and if doesn't workpost another.

pwitoslaw 10-20-2008 09:19 PM

As far as i know the tune up was done just before i bought the car all the receipts were presented at the time of purchase. And about transmission fluid hm i don't think it has to do anything with the jerking but ill do it anyways since its time to do so and ill post the update if it helps, but I really doubt this is the case.

silvercoupe97 10-21-2008 06:44 AM

Check your motor mounts for cracks or any visible stress on them. Have someone rev the motor and see how much the motor moves. Stock motor mounts will allow the motor to move, but it should not have so much flex that it leaves you taking a step back and away from the motor.
Does the shifter move with a heavy load on the motor, a light load, or does it not matter?

Also, is this a manual or auto tranny?

mitsupartsman.com 10-21-2008 07:33 AM

if your car has no CEL caused by a possiblemisfire, then i would say your having clutch issues.

is this your first stick shift car?

BEAT 10-21-2008 10:13 AM

Please remove all spark plugs and check the burn of each spark plug. Your mechanic will know the different burns on the Plugs.

I will not able to tell you from here. did you put the correct Plugs not the cheap ones but NGK plugs. if your not the who tune it up. I will do it again.

if notYou have to do a Minor overhaul on your car.

transmission fluid should be exhange to new fluid it is 55,000 miles

check your brakes and rotors, timing belt, go under the car check for oil. do a
wheel Alignment and wheel balance

do all of these your car will last another 100,000 miles.

by the way check your suspension too. I hope you bought that car cheap.

all these will cost you like a down payment for a new car
GOODLUCK!!

adjust the valves, timing,plugs, etc etc your Auto tech will know what I am talking about. it will cost money because you bought a used car.

BEAT 10-21-2008 10:15 AM

Transmision is another story let start with the engine first and then tranny
And please your carmust be Japanese if not.

Tranny problems will be a pain in the behind issue.

dsm1990gsx 10-21-2008 10:47 AM

First do you have a cel? If not check for a broken motor mount ora bad crank pully. These are a few things that will cause a car to shake/jerk.

BEAT 10-21-2008 11:41 AM

Yes check also the motor bushing mount.

pwitoslaw 10-21-2008 04:25 PM

Yes this is my first stick shift car but the car is was jerking since day one i bought the car i didn't have a much experience with manual cars so i thought it was me doing something wrong but since i gained lots of experience and now i know that there is definitely something wrong. Tomorrow I'm dropping the car at a mechanic shop for engine diagnostic will see what he tells. I heard hes really good at that stuff. Thank you guys for all the suggestions but im tired of it and ill let the expert take care of it.