Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   02 Lancer trans. problem... (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/02-lancer-trans-problem-34456/)

davepr86 11-28-2009 01:13 PM

02 Lancer trans. problem...

I have a 2002 Lancer with a manual transmission. Lately whenever I try to put it in any gear there's a lot of resistance. I pretty much have to use two hands to do it and even then it feels like I shouldn't force it. Once I get in gear and start driving it's a little easier but still feels very stiff. This is my first car with a manual trans so I'm not sure how to diagnose this. Could it be a fluid problem or maybe the clutch?

billege 12-06-2009 08:48 PM

I also have an 02, and have been driving sticks for a few years. With manual transmissions, as they wear, something called a "syncro" will wear, and generally as it does, you have to apply more force to put the car in gear. At least, that's how I understand it. My 2nd gear doesn't like to go in until the fluid is warmed up a bit. If you're having a really hard time, using 2 hands and whatnot, you may have a more serious problem - because that ain't normal. I'd check the transmission fluid level ASAP. If the fluid level is find, I'm out of guesses, and I'd get it to a transmission shop. I suppose you could try changing the tranny fluid before taking it to a shop, but if something's being damaged in there, I'd want a professional to look at it fast. Transmission repair is never cheap, and it gets more expensive the more damage there is.

I'm not a mechanic, really, so I'm not sure if you're looking at a clutch problem or not. Do you get a lot of grinding when you put it in gear? what's the mileage on the car?

davepr86 12-07-2009 08:50 AM

Thanks for your response billege. I talked to my dad about my problem since he used to be a mechanic and he offered the same suggestion about the "syncro". He told me about a quick test to see if that's possibly the problem but it didn't seem to be. Then he told me to try putting it in gear with the engine off and then starting it, he said if the car pulled forward when I tried to crank it then I probably had a worn clutch or it just needed to be adjusted. To answer your question, I've actually never had any grinding but as of now when I try to put it in gear it refuses to and the engine will start to stall if I try to force it. Before this, the transmission has always felt very smooth since I've had it. I never ride the clutch but it's possible that the previous owner did or maybe they just never adjusted or replaced it. Or it may be time for it to be replaced anyways considering it had 119k miles on it when I bought it and I don't know if it had ever been serviced before. I am still going to check the fluid level just to eliminate that possibility. Thanks again for your help, I'm just hoping and praying it will somehow be a fairly inexpensive fix.

dsm1990gsx 12-07-2009 11:31 AM

Is it one gear your haveing a problem w/ or all of them?