Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   05 Lancer ES--When to change timing belt (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/05-lancer-es-when-change-timing-belt-42537/)

txguitar 06-17-2012 09:11 PM

05 Lancer ES--When to change timing belt

Hi eveyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I just purchased a 05 Lancer es on Fri(6/15)and I love it. The car is in really great condition, a real cream puff.It has a standard trans and 2.0 SOHC engine.I am only the 2nd owner.It has 60,000 miles and I cannot believe how clean the engine compartment is.The previous owner really kept the car clean both exterior and interior wise the serpentine belt looks brand new and it has brand new tires and the oil was just changed.My question is I don't know if the timing belt was changed @ 60K or not ,is this the recommended change on this car or is it a 100K.Where I bought the car they didn't know either as the owner's wife brought the car into the dealer and she didn't know.This was not a Mitsubishi dealer it was a independant dealer.Any help would be appreciated

Thanks..

toddrs93 07-04-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by txguitar (Post 284721)
Hi eveyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I just purchased a 05 Lancer es on Fri(6/15)and I love it. The car is in really great condition, a real cream puff.It has a standard trans and 2.0 SOHC engine.I am only the 2nd owner.It has 60,000 miles and I cannot believe how clean the engine compartment is.The previous owner really kept the car clean both exterior and interior wise the serpentine belt looks brand new and it has brand new tires and the oil was just changed.My question is I don't know if the timing belt was changed @ 60K or not ,is this the recommended change on this car or is it a 100K.Where I bought the car they didn't know either as the owner's wife brought the car into the dealer and she didn't know.This was not a Mitsubishi dealer it was a independant dealer.Any help would be appreciated

Thanks..

I would change the belt just to be safe. Its not only mileage but time that wears on the belt as well. If it is the original belt it could be dry rotting and cracking just due to the fact that it is so old. I have seen that happen on these before. Where are you located? Maybe there is a performance shop that can do the job for you.

txguitar 07-05-2012 06:29 PM

RE:Changing timing belt

I had my timing belt-tensioner-water pump and serpentine/generator belt changed today.The mechanic gave me the old belts and water pump. The timing belt wasn't super bad but my mechanic said it was time,and the water pump wasn't bad at all,but my mechanic said it was important to change the pump whenever you change your timing belt.I feel better now, knowing the belt is new. I'm good now till around 125K. In a few more weeks I'm gonna have my valves checked and change the trans fluid.