Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   2008 Lancer broken F.A.S.T. KEY knob (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/2008-lancer-broken-f-s-t-key-knob-33260/)

GrimGodiva 07-24-2009 06:43 PM

2008 Lancer broken F.A.S.T. KEY knob

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all I have an issue that I have that I would like some advice with

I have a 2008 Lancer, and the ignition plastic knob that goes in the ignition to operate the F.A.S.T Key has a broken clip on the side. It will not fit in the ignition anymore. I went to the dealership, and they said that I need a new ignition.

If anyone could tell me what I should do, or the part number it would be greatly appreciated.

I have posted some pics below of the broken peice

Thanks

95sportdak 07-25-2009 08:46 AM

The part number for the plastic cap on the outside of your ignition switch is 4408A031. This is just the cap & it snaps on the outside. It shouldn't cost you more than $8-$10.

Check your owners manual (if you have it) & you should see that the cap is an easily replaceable item.

You shouldn't have to replace the whole switch, Unless you have something else broken.

BEAT 07-27-2009 11:14 AM

Just Wondering how did you break the ignition knob? just curious

by the way the cover under the steering wheel is another problem on the lancer it sometimes fall off. it is the cover under the steering wheel you can see it my turning the steering wheel up side down. so be careful don't hit it with your knee

the driver seat is also a problem it makes sound when you stop the car it feels like it has a loose nut or something. the driver side window will rattle if you open it an inch especially if you have a sub-woofer or high bass.

I will report this 2008-2009 Lancer issues soon

GrimGodiva 07-27-2009 06:04 PM

see I went to the dealership and got a replacement part once before. this is actually the second time that this has happened. The first time someone thought they could try and steal my car because I had it sitting outside with the windows down, and went into a friend's house to get something real quick. they just took the knob not knowing that you had to have the actual fob to crank the car.

Second time, which is this time, the actual knob is broken. If you unclip the knob from the ignition and take it off, then push the 2 buttons on the side, that center peice with the 2 clips that hold it onto the ignition, it comes out of the knob.... that is the peice that is broken.

In the pic below, the peice on the left, is the one that is broken. it has a broken clip.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5...2709190041.jpg

BEAT 07-28-2009 07:42 AM

Sorry to say but you have to replace the entire column. the stupid thief broke not only the knob but the entire housing is broken,even if you buy a new knob it will still Fall because the plastic lock or whatever holdsthe knob inside is broken.

Buy a new knob and GLUE the damn thing. I was going to do that with my steering wheel column cover but decided to asked the dealer to replace the entire steering column for FREE they did but the mechanic when he replace the steering column he broke another part inside the steering wheel. I should have just glued the cover and never touched the ORIGINAL ASSEMBLY THAT WAS ASSEMBLED IN JAPAN.

My advise to youis to buy an Epoxy and bond the knob on the column that would hold it permanently. If you have a remote starter I recommend you to use that permanently.

BUT YOU CAN NEVER USE THE EMERGENCY KEY ON THE KNOB ever again if you glue the knob. or find a better way to glue it, so you can use the emergency key and do you use the knob when the steering wheel is locked? you know hold key and turn steering wheel at the same time?

tell me what you think and please never leave your good looking GTS OPEN.
if you have a stock NAV system they can ALSO Steal THAT by clipping and pulling it out from the dash and your sub-woofer too.

imhowie 04-02-2013 06:47 AM

I know this is a really old thread, but my FAST key clip broke in the exact same way recently and I was wondering if there was every any resolution on how to get this part replaced without spending $400 to buy a new ignition plus labor for installing it and programming it. If anyone has any advice as to how I could get a new one, it would be appreciated.

scottarius27 08-12-2013 12:17 PM

Old thread, but this is what came up when googling this problem, so I want to reply for anybody else who may stumble here like I did.

Like others who have posted here, my clip broke on my 2008 Lancer (the piece that pops out of the knob by pressing the two buttons).

You do NOT have to replace the whole ignition/column for this. Go to your local dealer's parts department with the broken one and ask them for a replacement. My dealer had them readily available and it cost $12, and the new one snapped right on.

The part number is 4408A167 CAP-LOCK CYLINDER.

imhowie 08-17-2013 12:21 PM

Thanks so much! I have been just dealing with having to pull my key out and take it out of the remote every time for weeks now ever since it broke all the way. I used the part number you gave and got one online shipped to me in less than a week. Mitsubishi was definitely wrong when they told me I needed a whole new ignition column and that it was going to cost me $400+. I got this done for less than $20.

pwrcat4000 10-13-2014 01:49 PM

Found this interesting as well

CAP-LOCK CYLINDER
Make: Chrysler | Part#: 4408A167

CAP-LOCK CYLINDER
Make: Dodge | Part#: 4408A167

CAP-LOCK CYLINDER
Make: Jeep | Part#: 4408A167

Mazda part #D6Y1-76-142

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...er-base-46699/

outieowner 02-18-2016 11:00 PM

2007 outlander fast key knob

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is also broken tried searching 4408A167 in eBay and nothing comes up, could someone post a link to the product. Found one on aliexpress but 50usd for a pice that's not even worth 5usd is ridiculous

Attachment 3888