Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   2008 Lancer CVT Trans problem (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/2008-lancer-cvt-trans-problem-45602/)

letticeb01 12-12-2013 01:43 PM

2008 Lancer CVT Trans problem

I have an 08 Lancer, about 120,000 miles and have kept the car up very well. The car started hesitating when i step on the gas and jolts (now it THUMPS) when its shifting between 1st and 2nd gears (it seems like). I notice it happens between 1 and 2 RPMs (i think, sorry i am not too car savvy) If i really step on the gas and go directly to second gear (like going up a hill) it doesn't do it or it will do it at the end of the shift. It kind of vibrates kind of like going over a series of bumps in the road. It was making a squeak noise now when it does it and i can smell something burning. It has only happens twice. The first time i took it to AAmco and they couldn't reproduce it so they sent me home. It didn't happen again for about a month or so, then yesterday i was sitting in crawling traffic and it started happening again, but worse as i had described above. Now, Aamco is telling me that the CVT tranny is gonna be 4,900 dollars with a three year warranty or 100,000 miles. Is this a good deal for this type of tranny? I understand its a special tranny and all that but DAMN! Has anyone else had this problem and been told you needed a whole new tranny as well? I just really need some advice.

Thanks everyone.

Vadimus 12-12-2013 05:07 PM

There is no 1 2 whatever gears on CVT...
Was transmission fluid changed on time?

letticeb01 12-13-2013 08:28 AM

Thanks

Well what i was trying to describe is the motion between what would be 1st and 2nd gears, between 1 and 2 RPMs. And yes i have been asked many times about the fluid change, i had all that around 100,000 miles. plus tune up.

OS5MAN 12-14-2013 05:47 AM

I know this is an old post, letticeb01 did you find answers on your problem? Did you try to take it to a dealer to look at it?

letticeb01 12-15-2013 08:32 AM

No, i took it to Aamco, and they told me i need a new CVT transmission. 4600 dollars, which is a deal considering it is a special transmission. I could have found one for cheaper and have someone put it in for cheaper but they would have gotten me a used transmission, but i didn't want a used one. I went with a refurbished one, with all brand new parts, and a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. So i thought this was the best thing to do. They told me that it was "red-lining" at very low RPMs or speeds and it shouldn't be. Might have had a crack in the aluminum casing which was leaking hot air and causing it to slip. Thats their guess, im hoping when they take the old one out, they can find a problem so i can report it here in case anyone else is having the same problem. But they won't get the trans until next week.