Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   got a cold air intake question for everyone (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/got-cold-air-intake-question-everyone-13425/)

steve7672 09-13-2006 10:02 PM

got a cold air intake question for everyone

I'm thinking about getting an AEM CAI for my 03 OZ. I dont want to go with the short ram because i feel it isnt worth it. my only concern is the whole hydro-locking issue. i hear stories that make me cringe due to too much water gettin into an engine through the CAI. anyone got one and had any problems like this? or for the most part are the intakes pretty safe?

davidmitsusrock 09-13-2006 10:38 PM

RE: got a cold air intake question for everyone

get an injen cold air intake....it switches from CAI to short ram in like 5 minutes, my brother has one on his eclipse,

steve7672 09-13-2006 11:09 PM

what benefit does that have? so in bad weather i can switch it?

davidmitsusrock 09-13-2006 11:13 PM

yes just gotta get a screw driver and switch it if it looks like rain that day.

steve7672 09-13-2006 11:30 PM

so my next question then is 1. do you have to switch it everytime it looks like rain and 2. is it a pain in the ass to take off and put back on?

davidmitsusrock 09-13-2006 11:45 PM

nope my bro has had no problems what so ever yet. hes had it for over 6 months now. and he changes it everytime is looks like rain. personal preference i supposse

MSralliart 09-14-2006 12:24 AM

I have an injen cold air intake on my 06 lancer RA and I have had it for about 4 months and I have not had any problems with water getting in it. The only way to get water in it is if you are at 5000 rpms while goin through really heavy rain or if you go through a puddle that is like a foot deep. just don't be stupid and you wont have anything to worry about

Shaner3721 02-26-2007 01:48 AM

its your choice which brand and type you get but i can almost gaurentee u that it wont get water into it, the chances ar slim to none.

bras_33 04-11-2007 04:10 PM

If you are going to get the cai, I suggest in getting the bypass valve for it. It is worth the $45-$60 for it. What that does it prevents water from going into the cai and dont have to worry what its called "hydro lock (i think)" It will save you the hassle of switching to a short ram, even if you think it may rain.

Dusty Eclipse 04-11-2007 04:43 PM

I killed the orig. motor in my 3G because of Hydro-lock due to CAI... (Lived in FL- TORRENTIAL rain.) Always make sure you are not gonna suck up water thru that thing

bras_33 04-11-2007 05:51 PM

That musta hurt.

Dusty Eclipse 04-11-2007 05:53 PM

Yes yes... the hurting never stops, lol. Oh well, new motor time. That was like... Summer...

Nemesis 04-18-2007 01:15 AM

I cant figure out Why dont you want a short ram the way the 03' lancer set-up is. I belive you would have better performance and effecincy going that way, look at the set-up on intake your intake right infront of the grill and you would save time of annoying intake adjustment. I know your gonna think the lower my air filter is colder the air most casses its not true it more like a conductor cause it would be pushed so far foward it would conduct more heat off your headers than plastic air box.

TMR Net Shark 04-18-2007 02:19 AM

Dang, I'm moving from sunny and no rain phoenix to Philly. Do I have to keep short rams then? (08 Lancer)

silvercoupe97 04-18-2007 07:04 AM

- RAMs suck in hot air from the engine bay.
- RAMs are cheaper.
- RAMs will not suck in water unless you're in the river.

- CAIs bypass the hot air and suck in ambient temps.
- CAIs are more expensive.
- CAIs are more effective with hydrolocking a motor in terrential rains (lol, Dusty, sorry about that bro).

RAMs are bought more so than CAIs because of one reason alone and that's pricing. If you want a better intake, CAIs are your best bet. Yes, they are more "tricky" because of possible hydrolock, but....that only happens when the CAI is low enough to be completely covered by water. That's where the bypass valve comes into play. I will say this, if you live in an area where flooding is a normal occurance... don't get a CAI. CAIs suck in ambient air temps, that means it will suck up cooler than the engine bay temps which is better for the motor than what RAMs will suck in.
RAMs actually suck in hotter air than the stock airbox, since the actual box is removed, the filter now has free access to the engine bay air. Does anyone know what hot air does to timing? That's right, it pulls timing and cooler than normal temps adds timing...that's ignition timing btw, not motor timing. Less timing, less performance, more timing more performance....to a point that is.

IMO, a RAM does one thing and that's give the motor a cooler sound from being less restrictive (plus the silencer tubes aren't used). Honestly though, so will a drop in K&N filter with the silencer tube drilled or cut to allow more air in. Just some food for thought.

Nemesis 04-20-2007 01:17 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

- RAMs suck in hot air from the engine bay.
- RAMs are cheaper.
- RAMs will not suck in water unless you're in the river.

- CAIs bypass the hot air and suck in ambient temps.
- CAIs are more expensive.
- CAIs are more effective with hydrolocking a motor in terrential rains (lol, Dusty, sorry about that bro).

RAMs are bought more so than CAIs because of one reason alone and that's pricing. If you want a better intake, CAIs are your best bet. Yes, they are more "tricky" because of possible hydrolock, but....that only happens when the CAI is low enough to be completely covered by water. That's where the bypass valve comes into play. I will say this, if you live in an area where flooding is a normal occurance... don't get a CAI. CAIs suck in ambient air temps, that means it will suck up cooler than the engine bay temps which is better for the motor than what RAMs will suck in.
RAMs actually suck in hotter air than the stock airbox, since the actual box is removed, the filter now has free access to the engine bay air. Does anyone know what hot air does to timing? That's right, it pulls timing and cooler than normal temps adds timing...that's ignition timing btw, not motor timing. Less timing, less performance, more timing more performance....to a point that is.

IMO, a RAM does one thing and that's give the motor a cooler sound from being less restrictive (plus the silencer tubes aren't used). Honestly though, so will a drop in K&N filter with the silencer tube drilled or cut to allow more air in. Just some food for thought.

There is some truth points RAMS are cheaper and do suck some hot air. But what you stated right now was Theory. It doesnt go the same for every car like on 4G63t eclipse the cold air intake would bemore superioir cause itavoids headers or anything that may heat it up but on Lancer(non-turbo) SOHC engines The CAI'shas to clear the Trans axle and is moved forwardI would say 5" from headers so CAI is Absorbing some of the Heat from the headers and engine block it self so the Ecm still going to retard the timing due to air being baked. Short ram isnt going to be Soaking up heat.The Lancer has nice open front grill,and is going to be away from the headers and the ambeint air coming in from the lancer grill is going tocooler in the way I see it .The way the engine Is setup should be taken into consideration cause that theroy may not have same output for every car each car unique in a good or bad way