Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   Home Made Short Ram Intake (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/home-made-short-ram-intake-29842/)

BEAT 10-28-2008 12:15 PM

Home Made Short Ram Intake

I made this on Home made intake for my 1997 Nissan Sentra.

It was a long process but worth it.
total cost $30.00

I don't have the Nissan Sentra anymore traded in with a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage DE Coupe.

The Mitsubishi Mirage SRI is from Fujita and Aluminum you see on the pic are not really Aluminum it is sound suppressor and fire proof sheet for the hood made by Nasa

[IMG]local://upfiles/14888/B10CDB7562BB4E3DAD64A9571C7A9040.jpg[/IMG]

BEAT 10-28-2008 12:18 PM

RE: Home Made Short Ram Intake

The Product I used were Spectre.

Sorry the cost is more than $30.00 buck probably around $50.00 or $70.00

the airfilter alone cost $20.00 the red tube is around $15.00 and more parts you need the Specter products

ask me a question I will answer you if I can.

Symyon 11-01-2008 01:18 AM

Thanks for the idea.... maybe a how to?

silvercoupe97 11-01-2008 06:36 AM

This is a good idea; the only down fall I see is that the main filter surface is still sucking in hot air from the engine bay.
I suggest using the stock airbox and getting a K&N drop in filter, using that red air duct to suck in cool air, instead of the stock air ducting/noise suppressor. This allows for the air temp separation by keeping the hot engine bay air out and only allowing the cooler ambient temps in.
OEM ducting usually uses the empty cavity in the fender to suck up ambient temps, which is good, but the ducting is usually flattened and the diameter is small. Using your own ducting allows for a larger diameter. Hard piping from the filter to the intake manifold is a good idea too; it keeps turbulance down to a minimum before hitting the chambers.

BEAT 11-03-2008 08:36 AM

I didn't have any problems with hot air because I live in New England the temperature doesn't really go up tp 95 during summer.

it's always been normal temperature on my gauge. I watch them all the time.

I will use CAI if I live in Arizona, California or Florida or other hot and humid States.

The same with the Fujita F5 SRI. I didn't have any problem on my Mirage

BEAT 11-03-2008 08:39 AM

Symyon. Do you have Nissan Sentra?

Just buy the parts you see on the pic they are all Spectre products?

BEAT 11-03-2008 08:45 AM

Thanks for the idea but that Nissan was sold.

Symyon.

You need 5 parts of Spectre products to assemble a Short Ram Intake home made and using the bolts from the stock intake.

The pain in the behind is the Specter bracket that holds the filter to assemble it is time consuming.

Symyon 11-03-2008 07:32 PM

No, I have 03 Lancer OZ Rally Auto. I saw the Spectre brand in Checkers Auto Parts a few days ago.... the filters are a few types.... a stainless steel ...wich I liked it...and others... does it influence the performance? Because the stainless steel is about 40$... the others around 20$...
Also, maybe I will get the K&N SRI from RR with somthing about 150&....and I get the carbon thing with it... I was just wondering...if the K&N filtars/intake are good..... and what about Spectre products... didn't heard till now about them.... sure is not AEM...but is it a good brand?

BEAT 11-04-2008 07:43 AM

Spectre is a good brand and some parts are made in USA.

The Air Filter is a good quality. The Stainless filteris expensive because it is stainless butI will try the cheaper filter first before buying the expensive filter.

Because you are just starting to use Spectre. If you like the performance buy more Spectre.

K&N just advertise more than Spectre. Because K&N is a new company. Spectre is a HOT ROD, LOW RIDER AND PERFORMANCE products.

They are 2 different companies one specializing (K&N) in air filterand some intakesand Spectre specializing in all Auto parts and accessories.