Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/)
-   -   smart upgrades? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-lancer-lancer-sportback-11/smart-upgrades-11727/)

MSralliart 07-01-2006 02:02 PM

smart upgrades?

I plan on turbo charging my lancer ra in the future but until then, what are some good mods i can make that will give me more horsepower and won't kill my wallet?

MSralliart 07-01-2006 02:04 PM

RE: smart upgrades?

oh...and i have already put an injen cold air intake in. so i have the cold air covered.

dirtwagon 07-01-2006 03:08 PM

underdrive pulley, port/polish intake will help a little. You'll need to upgrade the exhaust when you install the turbo, so you may want to leave that alone for now.

MSralliart 07-01-2006 03:31 PM

do exhausts made for cars with or without turbos function as well as turbo back exhaust. ? what is the difference between the two.?

dirtwagon 07-01-2006 07:34 PM

The exhausts are different, a turbo exhaust has more exhaust to expel than the same engine size N/A vehicle. A turbo- back exhaust will start right after the turbocharger and will be new pipes that need to have the existing cat welded into the system. You will find cat-back, axle back, and just muffler systems for a N/A car. The exhaust will function only as well as it is manufactured...e.g. a mandrel bent exhaust will flow a little better than a standard exhaust. The pipe diameter will also come into play as you need to know the optimum size for your application.

MSralliart 07-02-2006 04:50 AM

well... right now there are not many turbos for the 06 cuz it is new so i will wait a little while for the right turbo to come out. I wanted to get an evo so my goal is to get my car up to evo speed. I know that it will be a little harder cuz the evo is awd but what performance parts does the evo have that the lancers don't that makes it faster. is it just the turbo and awd?

dirtwagon 07-02-2006 08:44 PM

Well, to start with, the EVO has a 2.0 DOHC engine, your R/A has a 2.4 SOHC MIVEC engine. The 2.0 in the EVO is purpose built for speed, the 2.4 is used in the Outlander, Eclipse, and Galant, so it's not built for speed. The EVO engine is built with more durable parts and yes, the turbo. It also likely has a closer ratio gearbox, some aluminum body panels for decreased weight, a vented hood which helps to dispel the heat generated by the turbo and engine. But I can assure you that by putting a turbo on your car, you will definately feel a big difference.

MSralliart 07-03-2006 03:22 PM

ok...thanks.!

dirtwagon 07-03-2006 07:46 PM

I don't believe they changed anything (engine) from the 05 to 06 R/A Lancer. Check with which ever company you are going to purchase it from and they will clarify for you if it is compatible. They did however periodically change the exhaust setups on them, I think in 04-05.
Keep us posted on your progress and post some pics soon!

MSralliart 07-04-2006 03:17 PM

aight. I will do that. I can't wait to pull up next to some new mustang gt and smoke it. After that, i will work my way up to the cobras. ah.... i love imports. its more intellegent and efficient than 6 liter v8. Do you know if its possible and how much it would cost to make my car awd?