Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Mirage (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/)
-   -   Engine Problems (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/engine-problems-26618/)

95mirage 03-29-2008 10:15 AM

Engine Problems

Hey all, I am new here. But not to working on cars. I have a 95 Mirage LS coupe, 1.8l, 5 spd. The car sat for 3yrs before I bought it, I replaced the engine, clutch, Distributer, TPS, timing belt. The car ran fine for about 3 months. Then the mass air went bad. I replaced that, along with the injectors.Then the car would start and run rough. I went out to work on it today, it will start and shut down very quikly. Timing is perfect. I am out of ideas, any help would be very nice.

Sebba 03-29-2008 12:26 PM

RE: Engine Problems

Fuel pump? Either that or one of the injectors is bad. Have you checked the harness to the MAS?

95mirage 03-29-2008 12:29 PM

I have good fuel flow to the fuel rail, and all four injctors have good spray. I haven't checked the harness--don't know how. And no codes.

Sebba 03-29-2008 12:47 PM

Its something electrical.

Have you tried simply resetting the ECU?

95mirage 03-29-2008 03:45 PM

Yes i have, if you mean just unhooking the negitive cable from the battery for 30 seconds. Do you know how to check the wiring for the mass air? As far as what voltage I should get, or anything else.

Sebba 03-29-2008 11:01 PM

No to be honest.

Yeah thats waht I meant by resetting the ECU.

Damn dude, I dont know what else to tell you. Maybe TPS?... you already changed that. I dont know man.

jgbrules 03-31-2008 10:34 PM

hello! you said you have good fuel pressure, and good spray. that means the computor and wiring are ok. mass air flow wont prevent you from cranking up, but bad distributor parts will. do you have spark?? you only need 3 things for a motor to crank. spark, fuel, and compression. even if you did replace the dist,if it was a reman i would look into the warranty it had, and replace it. but make sure first you have spark when it wonk crank. that is the key!! good luck!! greg....

95mirage 04-01-2008 08:41 PM

Ok, I'll give the dist a once over. And as I said fuel is good, compression is around 145 psi average. This thing is driving me nuts!!!
Thanks for the help people.

joy4ron 04-02-2008 04:55 PM

I am having a similar problem with a 93 Colt (Mitsu engine).

I replaced the fuel pump and the main engine relay.
I have not changed the MAP sensor. I did get it to run for a bit by removing the vacuum line from it. I also noticed that when I start up the engine, that there is an awful lot of water shooting out of the exhaust when I rev it.
I can drive it for a bit, and then the engine just shuts down. Any ideas