Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Mirage (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/)
-   -   New Mirage Owner... RPM Question (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/new-mirage-owner-rpm-question-48962/)

TFCfan2021 10-29-2015 12:53 AM

New Mirage Owner... RPM Question

I just purchased my 2015 Mirage less than a week ago, I opted for the 5 speed. Really enjoy the vehicle so far. It was purchased as my daily commuter for work.

I have noticed that it seems particularly gear bound in my opinion, a mere 60 mph yields a cruising RPM of 3,000 rpm, something I am not particularly used to seeing. I do understand it is a small engine with very little power.

Is this the case for other 5 speed owners? How about the CVT?

I would imagine Mitsubishi has designed the motor to run at that rpm (or higher) for extended periods of time, (a road trip for example) it just seems awfully high.

Also, I have been told some 5 speeds have no fuel mileage benefit to coasting in neutral vs coasting in gear because the injectors will automatically shut off and allow the momentum and speed of the car while coasting to turn over the engine, is this true for the 2015 Mirage?

Thanks!

Copper penny 10-29-2015 10:17 PM

Hi, there:):) mine was a 2014 DE with the CVT. It sounds like you had it in a lower Gear to have it at 3,000 Rpms unless you were going real fast and climbing a hill. The CVT keeps the Rpms Down as much as possible. Have you Jioned the Home - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star Forum - MirageForum.com ? Everyone on that forum are Mirage owners. I'm still on there even thou I traded mine in for a 2015 Outlander SE because my wife has a service dog and it made it hard on her. But I still Love that car. If I could afford two cars I would get another one. Keep us Posted:) congrats on the Mirage:):)

remusrm 12-22-2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by TFCfan2021 (Post 312527)
I just purchased my 2015 Mirage less than a week ago, I opted for the 5 speed. Really enjoy the vehicle so far. It was purchased as my daily commuter for work.

I have noticed that it seems particularly gear bound in my opinion, a mere 60 mph yields a cruising RPM of 3,000 rpm, something I am not particularly used to seeing. I do understand it is a small engine with very little power.

Is this the case for other 5 speed owners? How about the CVT?

I would imagine Mitsubishi has designed the motor to run at that rpm (or higher) for extended periods of time, (a road trip for example) it just seems awfully high.

Also, I have been told some 5 speeds have no fuel mileage benefit to coasting in neutral vs coasting in gear because the injectors will automatically shut off and allow the momentum and speed of the car while coasting to turn over the engine, is this true for the 2015 Mirage?

Thanks!

Yep, the manual keeps the rpm high. The MPG on highway is low if you drive over 65. The auto is better for highway driving. My 14 DE manual did 4000rpm at 80.

Copper penny 12-22-2015 11:10 AM

Mirage DE

This is A Great Car!!! I had a 014 DE CVT . And that's normal if your going over 65mph. Read your owners manual it will give you some good advise. Also join the www. Mirage forum.com there is alot of 5 speed owners. Also the CVT will keep the Rpms down:) see you caught the Mirage Fever:):)