Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Mirage (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/)
-   -   Spark plug replacement and now have a miss at idle (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/spark-plug-replacement-now-have-miss-idle-30809/)

w9awx 01-06-2009 04:35 PM

Spark plug replacement and now have a miss at idle

I just replaced my spark plugs, the old ones were really bad. Center electrodes all worn down.

Anyways, I replaced the spark plugs with autolite #69s (put dialectric grease in the boot of the spark plug wires), topped off the antifreeze, changed the engine oil with semi synthetic valvoline.

Now I have what I can best explain as a idle ad just off idle miss. misses up to about 1500rpm then is fine.

Did I do something wrong?

Help please and thanks in advance.

Sebba 01-06-2009 05:27 PM

RE: Spark plug replacement and now have a miss at idle

Could be that stuff you put on the end of the wires causing the spark to arc off into the tube.

It could also be that one of the plugs isn't gapped right.

Make sure you check all the wires for corrosion or damage. Any break in conductivity will cause a miss.

If none of the above work, then you just bought crappy plugs.

Manybrews 01-07-2009 04:19 PM

first, never use autolight garbage.

you should be using ONLY NGK plugs. Factory original. None of the "snake oil" crap like "splitfire" plugs, etc.

then also replace the plug wires/boots.

w9awx 01-07-2009 05:35 PM

ok, gonna pull the plugs and put in ngk's. Already replaced the plug wires, cap, and rotor last night after my last message.

w9awx 01-09-2009 07:47 AM

BPR5ES-11 sound correct?

Sebba 01-09-2009 06:09 PM

What brand of parts did you use? Wires/Cap/Rotor etc...

And yes those spark plugs look to be right.

w9awx 02-13-2009 10:45 AM

replaced the spark plugs with the factory NGK spark plugs. Cap, rotor, and wires were from Autozone. Lifetime grade. Found that the #1 spark plug wire wasn't making a good connection in the cap. Runs much better.

Sebba 02-13-2009 06:42 PM

Congrats!

w9awx 04-02-2009 09:17 PM

Missing again

Well, it is back. Sometimes when I start my car up, sometimes it will stall. The check engine light comes on, but, because of the year, it doesn't store a code. I've heard something in some posts about possibly being a bad idle control motor. I know it is on the throttle body opposite the intake from the TPS. How do I know if this is the problem?

Sebba 04-02-2009 09:53 PM

Honestly that sounds like a spark issue to me.