Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Mirage (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/)
-   -   TP switch (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-mirage-52/tp-switch-34293/)

zx12ryder 11-03-2009 10:29 PM

TP switch

Replaced a throttle position switch on my dads gf car. After installing and checking the voltages (reference voltage, idle and WOT) that were within ranges as specified in the service manual... the car had a really low idle once it warmed up. It would die out when i drove it down the driveway and came to a stop. Also once the replacement TP switch was intalled the "check engine" light that was illuminated went out. However after sitting for a while and turning the vehicle back on the "check engine" reilluminated. The reason for the TP switch change was due to get a code from the OBDII scanner that referenced the TP switch. 0120

Could there be any other problems to cause a code like that?

Manybrews 11-07-2009 05:20 PM

might help if you tell us what you're driving.

jason clipse 11-08-2009 02:51 AM

this post is in the mirage forum so thats what i would assume it to be. and zx12 did u try to clean the maf with maf cleaner? if that doesnt work, maybe a bad maf sometimes they can be tested at autozone

zx12ryder 11-09-2009 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jason clipse (Post 252423)
this post is in the mirage forum so thats what i would assume it to be. and zx12 did u try to clean the maf with maf cleaner? if that doesnt work, maybe a bad maf sometimes they can be tested at autozone

sorry fellas....its a 97 mirage. also the latest news is now it is showing a 0170 code which is the "fuel trim-bank 1". so this is now the priority code. the 0120 code stop showing after the TP switch was replaced. ....also no i havent tried to clean the maf.....will try that.

jason clipse 11-09-2009 08:43 AM

the fuel trim bank one issue could be caused by the maf. this is a 4 cycl right so there is only one bank, which means you are either running rich or lean. could be caused by o2 sensor or maf, usually its the o2 sensor. but usually that wont make the car idle wierd or shut off on decel, that sounds more like the maf, like i said i would take it to an autozone and see if they can test it.

zx12ryder 11-10-2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jason clipse (Post 252505)
the fuel trim bank one issue could be caused by the maf. this is a 4 cycl right so there is only one bank, which means you are either running rich or lean. could be caused by o2 sensor or maf, usually its the o2 sensor. but usually that wont make the car idle wierd or shut off on decel, that sounds more like the maf, like i said i would take it to an autozone and see if they can test it.

yes it is a 4 cylinder ...very good info....will get the maf tested,....i think the owner already has a new o2 sensor but never had it installed. Thanks...glad i joined this site.

jason clipse 11-10-2009 10:20 AM

try cleaning it first, that may be it. or actually when was the last time the air filter was replaced, it could be as simple as that. the air filter is so clogged that it isnt getting any air. then if cleaning it doesnt work and the air filter is good then try getting it tested