Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   03 montero sport starts but dies in 20 minutes (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/03-montero-sport-starts-but-dies-20-minutes-52423/)

Amamoy 08-05-2018 11:12 AM

03 montero sport starts but dies in 20 minutes

I have an 03 montero sport. I have spent over $2000.00 trying to fix this problem. There are more new parts under the hood than old. I replaced the radiator, clutch fan, timing belt, adjuster, pulley, crank and cam sensors, and even the ecu. Starts fine, but shuts off after 20 minutes. I took it to the dealer, and was told the Montero doesn't like aftermarket parts. The mechanic ran an oscilloscope test and it showed the cam sensor failing at 20 minute mark. Was told to replace the cam sensor with a factory sensor. I did that. Same exact problem. I am ready to scream!! Any ideas???? I have invested way too much money to walk away, help!!!!

HunterD 08-05-2018 05:46 PM

Does it throw any codes? Do you have an aftermarket anti-theft system by any chance?

Amamoy 08-06-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 324664)
Does it throw any codes? Do you have an aftermarket anti-theft system by any chance?

same codes as when the process started. Camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor. Runs with camshaft sensor disconnected, but poorly. Shuts off immediately if you unplug crankshaft sensor

Amamoy 08-06-2018 02:01 PM

Factory alarm system

HunterD 08-06-2018 02:48 PM

Sounds like you have an issue with one or both of the sensors or with wiring going to them. You need to test to see if you have proper reference voltage going to them and if you are getting signal out. Again - it is possible to have a bad sensor, OR some issue with the wiring (even a bad connector).
The fact that vehicle runs, but as you say - poorly, indicates that it runs in the Open Loop or in a some safety limp mode.

Amamoy 08-08-2018 10:37 AM

I have now ordered a factory crankshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor was replaced with oem sensor, now replacing the crankshaft sensor. I hope this works. My mechanic is really getting tired of seeing this truck.

Amamoy 08-15-2018 06:33 PM

Resolved!!!!

Finally! After $3000 in repair cost my car is running again. Never ever use aftermarket parts on these cars!!!!!!! Factory electronics only, or you will be very sorry!!

fikse 08-16-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Amamoy (Post 324755)
Finally! After $3000 in repair cost my car is running again. Never ever use aftermarket parts on these cars!!!!!!! Factory electronics only, or you will be very sorry!!

Great news!

What was the faulty aftermarket part, and where have you bought it?

Amamoy 08-16-2018 09:38 AM

Both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors were replaced. Both throwing codes.Used aftermarket sensors from advance auto parts. Carquest brand. Both had to be replaced with oem sensors. Expensive way to find this information out.