Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   03 Sport Common Problems (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/03-sport-common-problems-52452/)

Twister 08-13-2018 02:40 PM

03 Sport Common Problems

Hi guys, new here looking for information on an 03 Montero Sport. Looking at buying an 03 XLS Sport, 1 owner with 57k miles on it. Id say the interior is an 8/10 and exterior is a 8/10, its pretty clean. So im wondering what are aome of the common problems these trucks face? I know its gonna need a timing belt, and have planned to do it if i purchase it.

Second, what would be a good value for it? It has brand new i think 31" BFGs and new brakes. Im in Omaha Ne if that helps with an eval.

TIA

Amamoy 08-15-2018 06:42 PM

03 sport owner

I have an 03 montero sport. Timing belts should be changed about every 40-50000 miles. Keep your injectors clean. 1 can of sea foam per month should do it. If you ever have any electronic problem with the car have a Mitsubishi mechanic work on it. Factory parts only. Just spent 3 grand on repair due to aftermarket sensors. Change your oil and air filers every 3-4 months you should be good to go. As for a valuation, $3500- 4000 max.

Twister 08-15-2018 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Amamoy (Post 324756)
I have an 03 montero sport. Timing belts should be changed about every 40-50000 miles. Keep your injectors clean. 1 can of sea foam per month should do it. If you ever have any electronic problem with the car have a Mitsubishi mechanic work on it. Factory parts only. Just spent 3 grand on repair due to aftermarket sensors. Change your oil and air filers every 3-4 months you should be good to go. As for a valuation, $3500- 4000 max.

Thanks. If you dont mind me asking, what happened with the aftermarket sensors that caused problems?

HunterD 08-15-2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Amamoy (Post 324756)

I agree on OEM sensors, but SUPER STRONGLY disagree on SeaFoam. I have a Monty with over 230k, not a single can of SeaFoam went into it at any time. I think I have used a bottle of injector cleaner in it once.

Twister 08-15-2018 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 324758)
I agree on OEM sensors, but SUPER STRONGLY disagree on SeaFoam. I have a Monty with over 230k, not a single can of SeaFoam went into it at any time. I think I have used a bottle of injector cleaner in it once.

i can get behind OEM sensors, OEM is usually the best if you can afford it. Really looking for what things normally go wrong. They are asking $3k for it. From the sounds of it, people are at saying these things are as fragile as glass.

Amamoy 08-16-2018 09:48 AM

I did a lot of research before buying my Montero. Everyone who bought one new loved the car, but I didn't realize they are such a pain to work on. Factory oem parts are much more expensive than aftermarket. I would look for a vehicle that doesn't have a interference engine. It's too easy to damage the valves in this type of engine. I've spent a total of 5 grand in repairs to a car worth 2 grand. This is my first and last foreign car. American only from this point on, but just because it's American, doesn't mean you wont have an interference engine. Check before you buy. Every manufacturer has at least one model with this type if engine.

HunterD 08-16-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Amamoy (Post 324765)
I did a lot of research before buying my Montero. Everyone who bought one new loved the car, but I didn't realize they are such a pain to work on. Factory oem parts are much more expensive than aftermarket. I would look for a vehicle that doesn't have a interference engine. It's too easy to damage the valves in this type of engine. I've spent a total of 5 grand in repairs to a car worth 2 grand. This is my first and last foreign car. American only from this point on, but just because it's American, doesn't mean you wont have an interference engine. Check before you buy. Every manufacturer has at least one model with this type if engine.

Good luck finding a non-interference engine in a modern car. You probably need to go back to something made in the 60-70th for that.