Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2004 mitsubishi montero limited vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Default 2004 mitsubishi montero limited vibration

Im having a problem with my 2004 Montero Limited 3.8. The vehicle has 34,000 miles on it and whenever it seems you attempt to drive at a steady speed above 50 mph, you feel a weird rumble or vibration throughout the truck. This same sensation occurs whenever you let go of the accelerator and attempt to just coast. Its a strange rumble feel that seems to go away as im accelerating, but returns as soon as i let go off the gas or attempt to coast. The vehicle also seems to take of strangly on turns for the first 20 minutes of driving the car, like a start and stop hesitation feel. I owned a 2002 montero xls that drove a lot smoother without the strange vibration feel. I cat figure the problem out and I am going to get a alignment tomorrow to see if it helps, although it doesnt feel like a front end vibration, and i dont really feel it in the steering wheel, more in the seat of my pants. Just had the tires rebalanced, but didnt seem to change anything. Im hoping that someone possibly has had a similar problem that they solved and can help me with this. Thank You in advance for any help.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 AM

i have the same problem the revs are about 2000rpm ish
the car sounds like a rumble type noise very faint then goes away if i speed up or slow down

the the mitsu tech said dont worry

so i dont

Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 PM

I have 2004 Mitsu Montero Limited with 60k miles. I never have any vibration issues at all. Truck runs smooth above and below 50m/h.
Meak

Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 AM

Id check tire balance, alignment, brokken/loose suspension components and wheel bearings. Look at the rims for missing wheel weights. Then lift wheel, grab tire at top and shake - is the wheel loose?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM

If the vibration goes away when decelerating .. In my opinion it´s a drive line Problem.

Have you had any problems with drive shafts and / or the T case ?
Have you serviced Tranny, T Case , or differentials ?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Exclamation 2004 Limited Vibration

I own a Montero 2004 Limited with 55kmiles, i feel the same vibration when i run at speed between 50mil/h, also in slow run under 30miles/h sometimes i heard a strong noise (like on the traction) and have to stop the vehicule then the noise goes away, other thing is the blink yellow in the 4wd display after drive 30 miles in HW, need to turn off and on the SUV to get the blink alarm go away.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 PM

i would consider the driveshaft. the driveshaft in the 2001-2006 full size montero was made out of composite material. if it is dropped, or in an accident its very possible that it is now distorted and at certain rpm's can cause a vibration. or if the driveshaft was taken out and not put back in sync with the differential can also cause same problem.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 AM

I have the same, but it is the exhaust system that vibrates.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 PM

If your alignment doesn't stop your shake, rattle 'n roll, then I agree with jgbrules that the first place to suspect is your propeller shaft or drive shaft, if you prefer. These are supposed to be balanced at the factory and if your Montero was worked on at any point along the way, there is a chance that it was reassembled incorrectly. Check if there is a mismatch between the shaft attachment points and the U-joints fore and aft as marked by either paint or scribe marks. While you're down there in the neither regions, do a quick check of your needle bearings for tightness; grab your shaft (no laughing ) and and try to rotate it, testing for play. There shouldn't be any. If there is, it's an indication of worn needle bearings in your U-joints, which could account for your high-speed vibration woes.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 AM

I confer with jgbrules scheme of action and stay focused on the Driveline. Ive seen this once before. Have a driveline balance check done at reputable speed shop. Very small amount of weight in the right location will smooth out the vibe you are feeling for sure.

Good luck going down the road.

Hey Mothman I'm still laughing that was a good one.

Quick Reply: 2004 mitsubishi montero limited vibration