Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   1995 Montero little heater air flow (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/1995-montero-little-heater-air-flow-52771/)

Commostud 12-15-2018 11:00 PM

1995 Montero little heater air flow

Hello, I am a new Montero owner. I picked up a 1995 Montero LS with 138k. It is in nice shape. I have been crawling in and all over it and it is an amazing vehicle. I am very impressed to how it’s built vs a 4Runner/landcruiser. I do have a problem that hopefully you can help with. My heater has very low air flow output. For the record I flushed the radiator and heater core several times. I removed the heater fan motor and it works great. I just don’t have hardly any airflow through it. And I live in Alaska so that’s a problem.
Thank you for any ideas

Commostud 12-15-2018 11:02 PM

Oh, I also verified that the controls are moving. Just what is stopping the airflow.

HunterD 12-17-2018 01:49 AM

It's possible that a critter had built a nest somewhere in the heater box and that's what is blocking the air flow. Another possibility is that the outside control levers are moving, but the door inside is broken and is not opening. Do you have low airflow only to a specific zone or to all areas? I doubt on a '95 you'd have a cabin air filter, but if those are plugged - no airflow is happening even when the fan runs well.

Commostud 12-17-2018 10:58 AM

I have low output to the cabin and defrost. No output to the floor. So it looks like I might have to remove the dash to see what's happening.

HunterD 12-17-2018 11:37 AM

Pull the fan out, and examine the interior of the airbox to make sure it's clear after the fan. Not sure how far you could see there, but it's worth a try. You can also get under the dash with a flashlight and small mirror. Have a helper move the controls, while you try to examine the airbox doors for movements. If still no luck - you might have to pull the dash. That's a major pain. Sorry.
It does sound like there is an obstruction there - perhaps a crud build up on the heater core. You could also have old moldy gunk completely plugging the outside of the AC core. That will restrict the air flow. The only way to clear that would be to pull the airbox out.

Commostud 12-18-2018 09:57 AM

I have pulled the fan and I can’t see if anything is blocking the ac core. All the controls are moving but not much air is coming out. And no air to the floor so that leaves dash removal. When I pulled the fan it blows air like crazy but not while it in the heater.

HunterD 12-18-2018 09:36 PM

Keep us posted.

Commostud 12-19-2018 03:07 AM

Well I have pulled the dash apart and everything is wonderful in there. With the dash off I found some wiring problems but that can be fixed later. The heater controls all are working properly. So I managed to get a cover and inspect the heater core and it’s good. So I went and mostly tore apart were the ac core is. There is dirt in there and I put my flashlight in there and NO light comes through. So I am going tomorrow and getting a air nozzles and blowing out the ac core from the opposite side the of the fan motor. It’s a pain in the rear to completely take off the plastic cover so I will do what I can.