Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   20 amp fuse in engine compartment keeps blowing (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/20-amp-fuse-engine-compartment-keeps-blowing-36362/)

stp135 07-06-2010 09:22 AM

20 amp fuse in engine compartment keeps blowing

Hi, I have a mitsubishi montero sport 2000. It runs beautiful but just last week the 20 amp fuse in engine compartment keeps blowing. I put a new one in and it restarts again. It run run for a little but then it dies again. It seems only to happen when I depress the accelerator. If i leave it in park it will not shut off but once I push down the accelerator it will go. I have traced all the wires in the diagra and fixed a couple of lines that could of got grounded but that did not solve the problem. Any ideas??

aps13 04-19-2011 07:32 PM

fuse blowing too

I am having a very similar problem after a timing belt/spark plug change. Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem or does anyone else here have any insight?

mothman52 04-23-2011 02:04 PM

stp135 & aps13, welcome. Are you guys brothers?:)

First thing I would recommend, after checking the "obvious" stuff like loose ground wires and such is to run a check of error codes from your ECU. If something is bad or going bad and drawing more than it's share of current, it most likely would show up there and give you a place to focus your attention.

Since it seems to happen in tandem with engine speed, it could be your Alternator or voltage regulator, but a check for error codes is the first thing that I'd look for. Try that, and we'll take it from there...

ignus627 05-27-2022 07:57 PM

Similar on my 06’ Mitsubishi Outlander

After found and fixed an unwraping & eyeballing a melted insulation of a ground wire due to loose bolt on valve cover, shortingout cyl #3 coil signal wire, now blows engine compt. Fuse 20 and loose dash lights and right tail light, read somewhare about some kind of protection to tail lights but cant find the ref. At any rate the fuse in question in my case is the No. 20 engine comarrment. Hope will help.
I will also going to have to go in deep again

Naeos_Valkarian 05-27-2022 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ignus627 (Post 335554)
After found and fixed an unwraping & eyeballing a melted insulation of a ground wire due to loose bolt on valve cover, shortingout cyl #3 coil signal wire, now blows engine compt. Fuse 20 and loose dash lights and right tail light, read somewhare about some kind of protection to tail lights but cant find the ref. At any rate the fuse in question in my case is the No. 20 engine comarrment. Hope will help.
I will also going to have to go in deep again

I had a similar issue with my sport, found a blown blinker bulb that the filament had crossed another one and was feeding backwards. Made my dash lights blink, tail lights stay on, and a code for the MAF sensor pop up.