Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   2000 Montero Sport overheating (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/2000-montero-sport-overheating-35268/)

bulldogcr 03-08-2010 03:55 PM

2000 Montero Sport overheating

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi montero sport 3.0, automatic transmision. My problem is that almost every time i go up hill, usually if is a long and big hill and I need power, my temperature gauge also goes up almost to 3/4 or little bit more, but never to the red zone. I guess that is NOT good, but a friend of mine with a 2001 Montero Sport has the same issue, so we were thinking maybe it is normal.

Can you guys tell us if that is normal or what do we need to start checking.

Radiator cap is Ok, Coolant is OK, thermostat has been replaced also.

Thank you.

Montero2000 03-09-2010 10:38 PM

Overheating

i have a 00 mitsubishi montero sport and when my car is on and when its in park for some time the temparature gauga goes all the way up then when i put it in neutral and press on the gas it goes down so it might be normal for the hill to

rsoto 10-15-2010 10:42 PM

Exactly the same problem (montero sport 03 awd/4wd xls), I replace water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, head gasket and still overheat.
I know the 2002 Monteros (not sport) with the 3.5 used a 2 core radiator, could this be the solution to my problem?
How difficult is the swap, is this a pull out the old one and put in the new one?
Or is there a more serious problem in side my engine?
My radiator looks clean, no rust inside, coolant is green, my mechanic said to me that a should order a custom radiator (2 or 3 core no aluminium available only in bronze)

wrkrbee 10-21-2010 02:23 PM

Try changing your torque converter fluid and trans fluid.

rsoto 10-21-2010 05:57 PM

The trans fluid is new, I just rebuilt my trasmission 3 month ago, now my radiator is showing a small moisture on top, so i really need to change the radiator first (I´m afraid it can blow in any manute), for one with 2 core.
How can a torque converter afect up hill?

robtinasmits 07-13-2011 07:02 PM

My wife and I have a 99 Montero Sport with the 3.5 liter engine. We were having the same problem with the temp gauge running hot. At one point it was pegged to the H while idling on the freeway due to an accident. We changed the t-stat and checked both fans plus both radiator hoses and they were all good. We also changed the radiator cap. I notice that this only happened when it was hot out side and we were going over 60MPH with the AC on but it sometimes would do it with out the AC.

The one thing though was that it never boiled or steamed over and that there was plenty of coolant in the radiator and the overflow reservoir.

So I changed the temperature sending unit (the small sensor to the left of the t-stat housing on top) and this seemed to fix the problem. This cost me $16 and is very simple to replace. But if you are boiling over then I would say the sensor will not fix your problem.

Hope this helps.

catls44 03-18-2012 06:44 PM

Chaecked Fans

How did you check the fans? The one right behind the grill mostly. Mine is not running right now but my big one is. Is there a fuse I can check??? And where is the 16.00 sensor part at in a way a female can find it please!!! Thank you for the help.

mxmikie 03-18-2012 10:37 PM

a bad fan clutch or a plugged radiator

Kimberly-Myron Price 04-22-2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by catls44 (Post 282532)
How did you check the fans? The one right behind the grill mostly. Mine is not running right now but my big one is. Is there a fuse I can check??? And where is the 16.00 sensor part at in a way a female can find it please!!! Thank you for the help.

I'm having the same problem , did you find out the problem?