Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Jammed door

Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Default Jammed door

I have a Pajero (Montero) from 1989 and the left rear passenger door is jammed. It wont open with neither of the handles. The central locking is working, you can hear it locks and unlock but you can't open the door.
Is there a way to get the door panel off when the door is closed?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Odd problem.

Some questions:

Does the lock pin (tab) in that door move up and down when you hit the central lock/unlock? If not then the lock solenoid in that rear door is suspect or disconnected

When you pull it up and down manually does it feel/sound like it's connected to anyting internally?

Some thoughts:

If the child safety switch in the door jam got switch to safe then the inside handle won't work. Same goes if you have the door lock out button pushed in the drivers door armrest main control panel.

The only way the outside handle would be inop is if the door is still locked (thus the question about whether or not the pin feels like it's disconnected.)

So unkikely as it seems you may have three simultaneous situations: Broken or disconnected solenoid (no automatic operation) disconnected linkage (no manual operation) and/or child safety swithc set to safe.

I'm not looking at mine but seems that you might be able to get the inner door panel off from the inside. You may have to remove a rear seat for working room.

If not, a lock smith should be able to get a shim inside and operate the latch from the outside. If you belong to AAA they might cover it even though you're technically not locked out.

Let us know on the questions.

Ron

Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 PM

First a correction to the above. There is no lockout switch for door locks on the drivers arm rest panel - just a window lockout so forget I said that.

More to the point. I just looked at my truck and believe the panel can indeed be removed from the inside. Definitely need to remove the rear seat on that side. Once all the screws and armrest, door handle bezel etc are removed the last step is to pry out (unsnap) the lower edge and sides of the panel. This is the challenge since with the door closed you won't be able to get to the edge to do the prying.

If it was my project I'd drill some small holes around the bottom and sides and find or make a tool like in the photo to pull on the panel to unsnap it from the door.

Then it should just lift off. The holes can be covered with screws or small plastic door panel caps available at autopart stores.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Jammed door-imagesca4lu2tc.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 AM

Hello jrmdir.

My lock pin does move up and down and you can feel it's connected. I took out the ash tray and I could see that everything is moving inside. I suspect that the linkage that opens the door has gone loose from the interior and exterior door handle. I will remove the backseat and try to take off the panel. I just happen to have the tool in the picture, from the kids trampolin .
I let you know the progress

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM

Great. You might be able to force that tool into the space between the door opening and the door panel and pull it out without drilling holes. Look at your other rear door - there is a wider entry point near the door opening stop strap where you might be able to catch the edge. Not sure but may be worth a try before drilling. Once you get one side away from the door it should be easy to walk the tool around the lower perimeter.

Good luck.

Ron

Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Dang, I knew that tool looked familiar ~ I used to have one of those trampolines...

It should be possible to access the lock without removing the entire panel although you might need to manufacture some way of reattaching the link to the lock mechanism. I should think just getting the backmost part of the panel off should do the trick.

Let us know how it goes...