Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Water temp guage poltergiest

Old 11-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Default Water temp guage poltergiest

The water temp guage is topping out above "H", then coming down to normal (midpoint), then back to above the "H". Vehicle does not overheat. Coolant level is normal. Cooling fans working properly. Took it to a shop. They said it's not overheating, but rather that the guage is malfunctioning. They said I need to take it to the dealer (why couldn't they just replace the guage - forgot to ask them). Girlfriend was driving the Monty today and she said that the water temp guage topped out above "H" again - and then she smelled something like rubber burning - the guage then went back to normal (midpoint).

How hard would it be for me to get at the water temp guage to replace it. Do I need some type of special tool kept only at the Mitsu dealer's secret tool room to remove the dash? Do I even need to remove the dash?

Any suggestions?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Water temp guage poltergiest

Are you sure its not getting a little hot? How many miles are on the truck? Maybethe thermostat beginning to stick?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:42 AM

The thermostat was the first thing I changed. The cooling fans were coming on just fine. Took it to a shop. They said everything was working fine. Cooling fans are fine. I actually played with the thing myself after coming home from the shop and found that I could make the guage go to midpoint if I tapped on the dash with my palm when it went above "H".

It's definitely the guage. I'm just wondering how big the project is to get behind the dash????

Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Its probably not that bad, get a haynes maual and do it yourself. A lot of small shops will shy away from that kind of stuff and push it to the dealer. You'll save some $$$ and learn a little all at once lol.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 AM

I'd change the sending unit first. It's near the Tstat housing. Also check the wire going to it ...if it's cracked the gauge will be become erratic.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM

I know this is a very old post....
I just but a 01 montero limited. I drove it from San Antonio to Houston with no problems 2 days ago. The only thingi did was clean the hell out of it (other owner I think let the cat/dog live in the car).any way cleaned the inside of the car. then i took it to a car wash and and about 4 miles to my brothers house. about half way there i noticed the guage was pegged at "H". It caught me off guard. I got to my bros and pulled the radiator cap off and I was full of coolant. water wasn't boils at all. Oh I did put a bottle of F.I. cleaner in. I had a half a tank of gas in the truck

Any way it's dark out now and I can't really do any thing to it.
Is this a really odd deal or something that happenes to montero's?

I'va been around cars for years now. I know I need to check a few of the basics. Its just dark out there.
TIA,
albert

Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM

it may help if you actually tell us what you're driving, but Ill assume its a full size montero.

if thats the case, its not the gauge. Its the instrument cluster ECM, located on the back of it.
it needs to be replaced, but the new unit will need to be sent out to have the correct mileage imprinted on it, as thats where the data is stored.
I suggest you take it to the dealer, because independent garages are usually manned by morons.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM

It is a full size sorry.What would haappen if I just bought a used one out of a yard? abd replaced it? would it just read the other milage of that computer?
thanks,
Albert