Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   2002 montero sport 4x4 4H light flashing (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/2002-montero-sport-4x4-4h-light-flashing-36655/)

rigrunner 08-02-2010 02:59 PM

2002 montero sport 4x4 4H light flashing

i have a 2002 AWD montero sport es. the 4wd works but the 4H light flashes off and on and it is hard to ingage and disingage. I was wondering if there was a sensor or something that maybe i could replace w/o having to take it to a dealership. any suggestions?

redturboeclipse 08-03-2010 09:50 PM

would take it to the shop. check owners manual to see if it is something you can diagnose.

sdfsdf 12-11-2010 03:16 PM

I have seemed to find a fix for this. I have a 2002 Montero AWD. This fix relates to when the gear is in AWD position with the 4H light blinking. Its obvious the car is stuck in 4H. This is a relatively easy fix and it worked for me. If you are like me and are freaking out about how much money you will have to spend to fix your car try this.

First put in neutral and keep switching the gears from AWD all the way to 4L. Then drive straight and switch from 4H to AWD. This next part where my car got fixed. Then put it back into 4H and put it into reverse while driving in reverse switch from 4H to AWD and hopefully that should do it. Good luck. If that does not work I truly am sorry.

This was a while ago and this person probably already had his car fixed. But for those in the future looking for answers try this. I registered to this forum right now just to post this and probably will never post again. Again good luck.

redturboeclipse 12-12-2010 04:02 AM

wow, can you elaborate though in speeds that you are doing this?

it sounds rather risky just driving forward switching modes then putting it in reverse in motion. are you coming to complete stops?

sdfsdf 12-12-2010 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse (Post 266639)
wow, can you elaborate though in speeds that you are doing this?

it sounds rather risky just driving forward switching modes then putting it in reverse in motion. are you coming to complete stops?

Yes i am coming to complete stops. Also its around 20 mph. So go forward switch from 4H to AWD. Then stop put back in 4H then reverse when you hit around 15 mph switch back to AWD. This worked for me. Not saying this will work for sure. If it does not work you probably need to get it to a shop and get some work done for it. I heard it wasn't too much to get it fixed.

jgbrules 12-15-2010 10:20 PM

2 most common issues in regard to 4wd with the montero. transfer case detection switches on top of the transfer case go bad, also the 4wd engagement switch on the front axle goes bad. sometimes the vacume line for the engagement switch somehow gets pulled loose, gotta take it to the dealer for a thorough diagnosis. vacume line you can check yourself.

Derril 06-13-2012 10:49 PM

My first time here on the site. I have a 2004 Montero Limited. When I shift to 4 high lock or 4 low lock the indicator on the dash blinks orange. It feels like I'm in 4 wheel drive and I've gone off road with no problems but the manual says I may have a problem. Any ideas?