Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   2002 Sport- No fluid in radiator (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/2002-sport-no-fluid-radiator-37924/)

Nick1817 12-19-2010 01:49 PM

2002 Sport- No fluid in radiator

Wifes vehicle- not dirven much, at all. Has about 65k miles on it.

I replaced the rear oring for the oil leak (per instructions here) about 3 months ago.

Temp drop about a month ago and all of the coolant was soon under her vehicle in the carport. I thought at first it was oil (due to the color) and I botched something on the oring, but It is definately coolant because its flat empty.

WIll this be a whole radiotr replacement or could it be a hose? Any know issues with regards to this model and the radiator?

Car starts fine for now, should I tell her to quit starting it once a week (since she rarely drives it)

johnoutdoors 12-20-2010 08:57 PM

Refill it if she's going to start it. Before you do, look at the hoses and around the radiator for a white scale/residue. If you find that, trace it upwards to where it stops. That will likely be the source of the leak. Confirm by refilling and watch for new fluid leaking out.

jimmyphlow 12-21-2010 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nick1817 (Post 266887)
Wifes vehicle- not dirven much, at all. Has about 65k miles on it.

I replaced the rear oring for the oil leak (per instructions here) about 3 months ago.

Temp drop about a month ago and all of the coolant was soon under her vehicle in the carport. I thought at first it was oil (due to the color) and I botched something on the oring, but It is definately coolant because its flat empty.

WIll this be a whole radiotr replacement or could it be a hose? Any know issues with regards to this model and the radiator?

Car starts fine for now, should I tell her to quit starting it once a week (since she rarely drives it)

jo-doors:
Coolant leaks can be tricky sometimes. It depends on how Much fluid was spilled in the driveway. A Cup / a spot / etc. and at location of the center of the spill.
Sometimes the expansion / reservoir tank is topped of with just water ? and first 20º night can freeze and crack the tank. I doubt that is the case here, but worth a thought.
Best way to find a pesky leak as I have found, is to top off the fluid...drive the car to get up to operating temp....But Only At Night In The Dark. Park the vehicle, open the hood, and with a flashlight preferably a small narrow beam one like a key chain light, shine the beam of light over the hose and area's suspected of leaking. If there is a leak, you will see vapor cloud across the light beam hopefully. Just like a sunbeam coming through the window and you see the dust floating in the light.
Just a hint to remember when you have a small leak.

johnoutdoors 12-22-2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nick1817 (Post 266887)
Temp drop about a month ago and all of the coolant was soon under her vehicle in the carport.

Originally Posted by jimmyphlow (Post 266940)
jo-doors:
Coolant leaks can be tricky sometimes. It depends on how Much fluid was spilled in the driveway. A Cup / a spot / etc. and at location of the center of the spill.

Just a hint to remember when you have a small leak.

Your hint was good, not just for the vapor, but also because the reflection of the coolant in the flashlight will be easier to spot than just looking in the daylight. I was, however, under the impression that "all of the coolant was soon under her vehicle" meant that this was not a leak of the small variety.

jimmyphlow 12-22-2010 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnoutdoors (Post 266994)
Your hint was good, not just for the vapor, but also because the reflection of the coolant in the flashlight will be easier to spot than just looking in the daylight. I was, however, under the impression that "all of the coolant was soon under her vehicle" meant that this was not a leak of the small variety.

I don't Know j o doors
Some people panic and a 4" diameter circle of fluid could be a flood.
My daughter came in screaming..."Dad, there is gas or antfreeze pouring out under the truck!" Quick Quick...OMG I knew something was wrong when I bought this used truck!!!.... Well it was in the summer, and the A/C was working great because the condensate was running out the evap coil tray like a faucet.
She never knew air conditioning did that.

Yeah! If that antifreeze / coolant was that much like a puddle a plenty...then that should be easy to find. Sometimes one has to lay down on the ground and look up and around. Be thankful it ain't the head gasket, and the antifreeze is burning up up and away. Been there / done that.