Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   2003 montero sport 3.5L - passenger side - valve cover removal (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/2003-montero-sport-3-5l-passenger-side-valve-cover-removal-51904/)

taybrynn2 03-05-2018 05:29 PM

2003 montero sport 3.5L - passenger side - valve cover removal

Any tips on how to get the passenger side valve cover off safely? (want to change gasket and spark tube seal gaskets.

(I just completed the driver side and it wasnt too bad, but the worst there was removing the EGR and the plenum stay bracket)

Back to the passenger side valve cover ...
I saw two large wiring bundles that pop off a standard by reversing the clip up (not down). THe slack achieved is minimal.

There also are 3 12mm bolts around the oil filler cap, which when removed ... seem to allow the cap and hose to be removed
with the valve cover.

It appears a pair of timing cover bolts might also need to be loosened, to back the cover off a bit.

There is a hose in the back to remove and the other hoses were already disconnected from the plenum.

It still seems real tight ... any tips or things I may be missing?

THanks in advance,

Scott in Colorado

HunterD 03-06-2018 01:15 AM

You are on the right track. The best thing to do is to proceed slowly and methodically. Take photos of what you are removing, so that you can be certain how it goes back together. You may need to unplug few more connectors if it helps to move the harness out of the way.

taybrynn2 03-09-2018 07:28 AM

Removed both bolts from timing cover as i did on driver side. Removed smaller portion of timing cover (it’s a two piece cover) ... but so far i couldn’t figure out how to remove the larger half of the timing cover (without possibly loosening the mounts for the timing belt pulleys). The larger cover lid seem to have a third bolt which also ties into other things and I was worried about removing it because the timing belt pulleys might be affected also).

So i decided i could probably slide the cover off without removal if the larger portion of the timing cover lid.

So im back to trying to knock the valve cover lid off without damaging it. I also removed the air box which was easy to do to gain a bit more room to get after the valve cover with wood block and rubber hammer etc.

using rubber hammer, i haven’t been able to get the valve cover off yet. On the driver side the spark tube gaskets on top had fused to the valve cover lid, so one of them was broken during eventual removal. Either that or someone glued them in! Either way they were removed ok once the lid came off with no damage to the valve cover. So I’m just trying to knock it lose but the ability to get a hammer or
block on it seems more limited than it was on he driver side cover.

ive read some people use a heat gun. It’s about the only thing i haven’t tried yet. It’s a PITA for sure!!

Hiwver i i took my little scope camera down the tubes of each spark tube and there is a leak on this side so I really am hell bent to remove this cover somehow!

taybrynn2 03-09-2018 01:57 PM

AMEN !! ... Ok, I finally got the passenger side (Right) valve cover loose !! After blocking the far passenger side with various sized wood blocks, ut still never getting it to move anywhere ... I finally had a breakthrough using a simple 10" section of 1/2" EMT (pvc) pipe ... which enabled me to engage the opposite side of the cover, which had very narrow access/clearance (between the rail above and wiring bundle below) ... and engaging that emt pipe with my rubber mallet, I finally broke the cover free and no damage! I DID NOT have to remove the entire belt/timing cover completely ... so I was able to slide to lid towards the windshield to get it out from under the in place, loosened but not removed belt/timing cover. Not to get it out, I have to remove a hose in the rear which connects to the rear of the drive side valve cover. And it appears beneficial to remove the 3 10mm bolts securing the auto cruise vacuum bracket, giving more room rotate the valve cover out ... I ended up rotatating it almost perpendicular, then UP and out (over the top of the valves) ... and the things I left attached to the valve cover did assist in handling the cover a bit.