Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

montero sport help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Default montero sport help

Hello, new guy posting for a friend who just bought a 98 Montero sport 2wd auto. We have big plans for the car but have a couple problems that need to be fixed before we can start the murdering out, all black inside and out with a bad a$$ system.

When the radio is on we can not get any reception, The antenna dose not come up at all. The radio head unit is aftermarket but i do not recall the make. Any ideas as to why he can not get any radio reception? We only heer static and cd's play fine.

And last, this one might be a little harder to diagnose, but when exhilarating from a dead stop the motor sputters until and i quote "you push the peddle down to a certain point"then its normal.I will pull the plugs this weekend to see if there bad but im thinking that its a little more advanced of a problem then just bad plugs. We were also told that it needed a new catalytic converter from who he got the car from but it is there and not gutted so im thinking its clogged.

Thanks, as a dodge/chevy guy im kind of lost. lol[/align]

Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Default RE: montero sport help

im the owner of the 98' 2wd he's talking about. were changing out the catalytic converter, but theres a prob with the acceleration. within the first 5mph theres a bit of lag, and once you've past it, it goes away.

we got big plans for the monty and in order to make the plans happen, we need these opsticles out of the way.

-thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 AM

2000 MMS - the horn is not running on the certain positions.
Instead a click is heard while pushing on steer and no beep.Probably relay is clicking.
Besides, no beep while pushing on the remote "lock". Is it matter of dissamblage of the steer, or maybeI have to do simpler job?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM

im sorry buddy. mine works great so i havent had the pain in the A$$ to play with a messed up one, or i'd have some info for you : (

Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 AM

Thanks to MonteroMan for the answer. I hope to hear soon.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Those plugs are a job the first time around (still haven't done mine @103K, they probably have been done by the PO but not sure) I recommend looking at this: http://www.monterosportonline.com/diy-perf2.html.

How many miles are on the MS?? FYI the timing belt is something that should be done every 60K,the MSan interference motor and will cause much damage if it snaps, even at idle. I believe the plugs in the 3.0L are iridium (IIRC the interval is 60K miles).

Oh, and another good place for Montero Sport assitance is www.4x4wire.com.