Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   2003 Montero XLS transmission fix (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/2003-montero-xls-transmission-fix-53098/)

cougartime72 04-12-2019 10:22 PM

2003 Montero XLS transmission fix

I have a 2003 Montero with 106,000 original kms on the motor and transmission.I just changed the the transmission fluid to mitsu atf III as recommended buy the manual.The problem is that I can put it drive or reverse and it wont actually engage into drive or reverse,it's like it is in neutral.After about 1 minute or 2 of being in neutral it will finally drive when put in drive and go into reverse.My fluid level is correct at operating temp and I checked the level in neutral and it falls inbetween the marks for "hot" on the dipstick.I do not know which transmission fluid the previous owner had in it but the dipstick was reading overfilled,could this have caused some kind of permenant issue with the torque converter?.I also noticed that if I slam on the brakes while driving and come to a stop the transmission does the same as mentioned (no reverse or Drive) untill I put it in Neutral and then back into drive after a minute or so.This problem is definitely a pain in the Arse

If anybody has had this problem on the 2003 transmission and know what the cause/fix is it would be great.

Keith

?.

HunterD 04-13-2019 12:51 PM

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing. This might be very obvious, but are you checking fluid level with the engine running?

cougartime72 04-13-2019 05:53 PM

Thanks for your feedback!.I have checked the trans oil while in neutral and running and it there seems to be very little on the stick,however when I check the trans level when the engine is not running and cold the level seems to be well above the cold level.When I initially drained the old oil I measured the old fluid and replaced that exact amount with new fluid.I did not flush it only a drain so it measured about 5 liters.I didn't experience the problem before I drained the old trans fluid.

Thanks again!

HunterD 04-13-2019 08:39 PM

That could be the issue. Make sure that trans oil level shows "FULL" when engine is running and vehicle is in Neutral, or in Park. This is when you need to measure level. Once engine is turned off, some fluid will drain back into transmission from the torque converter and from the oil cooler and it will show as as Overfilled.

cougartime72 04-15-2019 08:51 PM

Thank you good sir!.I added 1.2 litres while engine was running and cycled it through drive ,reverse and park and let it run for 10 minutes while I checked the level.It seems to be right up at the "hot" level while running and up to operating temp.I drove it later in the day and the problem seems to have been fixed.This transmission seems to be fickle even with the low Km's,but still shifts smooth for now.Thanks again

Keith

Fekey123 01-22-2021 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 326668)
That could be the issue. Make sure that trans oil level shows "FULL" when engine is running and vehicle is in Neutral, or in Park. This is when you need to measure level. Once engine is turned off, some fluid will drain back into transmission from the torque converter and from the oil cooler and it will show as as Overfilled.

been a while..got this mystery about the atf level on mt 03 montero sport..everything normal good shifting, no leaks, no bubbles, no foaming,,engine cold level slightly above hot mark...under operating temp, engine running at park, level just below the cold mark??????? exactly the opposite of what i expect it to be...any ideas?

DibbyDibbyDJ 01-22-2021 11:38 PM

when checking... vehicle hot... engine running... in Park....Remove dipstick....wait 5 seconds.... replace dipstick.... wait 5 sconds... pull out and read

Fekey123 01-24-2021 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 332060)
when checking... vehicle hot... engine running... in Park....Remove dipstick....wait 5 seconds.... replace dipstick.... wait 5 sconds... pull out and read

thanks..did just that but still getting the same results...cold over the hot level...running below the cold level????????? on my wits end.

HunterD 01-24-2021 03:06 PM

You're low on transmission fluid. "Cold" and "Hot" are just temp levels of fluid. Both times you need to be measure with engine running. If you just started and are checking fluid - it needed to beg in Cold range. If you are checking after vehucke has been driven - proper fill level is at the Hot range.
If engine is off, fluid drains from torque converter and from all internal passages. This will show as overfilled. Ignore that, start engine, then check level after a minute or so.

Fekey123 01-27-2021 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 332082)
You're low on transmission fluid. "Cold" and "Hot" are just temp levels of fluid. Both times you need to be measure with engine running. If you just started and are checking fluid - it needed to beg in Cold range. If you are checking after vehucke has been driven - proper fill level is at the Hot range.
If engine is off, fluid drains from torque converter and from all internal passages. This will show as overfilled. Ignore that, start engine, then check level after a minute or so.

thanks...i understand that but after driving and in the operating temp of atf, the level is way below cold level almost no fluid...really puzzling to me.