Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2004 montero limited starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Default 2004 montero limited starting problem

Good day to all! I am having a problem starting my Montero , it is kind of a off and on issue, sometimes I would get in and she would fire right up, but sometimes I get in and it does not respond when I turn the key. All the dash lights are on when I am trying to start it, but nothing from the starter, I had my spare key (brand new) that I tried to see if it would help but the issue still is occurring. I am thinking it may be the ignition switch but would like to confirm if any members had this problem in the past. I did search the forum but only found some info on older model Montero's (99) and I'm not sure if they are the same set up, Any info would help me out to figure this out before I get stranded. Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-07-2017, 01:34 PM

I was hoping someone would answer your question. Since there is no takers, I'll take a stab at it.
Couple of most likely issues are - 1. bad ignition switch or 2. some issue with the grounds/wiring.

Check your battery status, make sure engine grounds are good. Then plug in a voltmeter at starter solenoid and see if you are getting 12v there (consistently) when you turn on the key. This will let you know if you need to be going up to the ignition switch (pre-solenoid) or further down from solenoid in your testing.

Keep in mind, it is possible to have the dash lights on and working well when the battery is nearly dead. The current you need to run the lights is minuscule, while starter requires a ton of current. If your battery is on the brink of going out, you may have enough variation in its' function (day to day or within a day) that at times it will fire right up, and at other times not (but lights are going to be OK).

Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the response bro, i was leaning towards that also but i was thinking the neutral safety switch on the tranny shifter maybe. it happens more often now and i want to replace it soon!

Old 11-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Neutral safety switch is a good candidate fir the trouble. Next time it doesn't start, put transmission in Natural and see if it behaves any different.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Neutral safety switch is a good candidate fir the trouble. Next time it doesn't start, put transmission in Natural and see if it behaves any different.
My 2003 MS Sport would sometimes do this.

Put foot on brake, shift out of park, then back into park with a firm shift. Then it would start.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM

I did notice that when I push the key into the ignition with a little bit of force it also starts up. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or do I have two issues creating the same problem? I think I will get the ignition switch 1st. Should I go dealer or local parts store?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 PM

I've had a 2001 XLS 3.5L (different motor than yours) Montero for 3 years and I get an occasional no start (but will crank strong) problem that usually some key action will fix, but sometimes it doesn't. And it doesn't seem to be the key, because sometimes I have to give it gas and rev it for 3-4 seconds to 2,000 RPM to make it stay running. Here's a link to my description. See if yours does any of this too.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...s-start-51506/

Old 12-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Talking

Alright Gentlemen, Update; I rolled the dice and hit 7!!! Decided to purchase the ignition switch and hope it was the issue and not the Inhibitor switch on the shifter / tranny. GOT IT!!! The issue with NO response when I would turn the key sometimes was the Ignition switch!! Hope this helps someone in the future. Not to much of a hit $ 39.99 from the local Pep Boys.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 AM

I have the same problem with my 2003 montero, it turns on when you put the key in and let the car sit at start for a few seconds then turn the car fully on after the dah lights go out. Just a guess but maybe something to do with alternator or alt belt?

Old 12-24-2017, 05:59 PM

from the sound of it.. you should look at your ignition switch if its the oem switch from when the truck was new. if it was the alternator your battery would die first.