Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   2006 Montero Ltd Ignition problems after timing belt change (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/2006-montero-ltd-ignition-problems-after-timing-belt-change-53197/)

HillsRFilledWithFire 05-09-2019 07:34 PM

2006 Montero Ltd Ignition problems after timing belt change

Hi all,

so I recently bought a 2006 Montero Limited in really decent shape and took it for a regular timing belt replacement. Prior to this it had a P0455 code but it seemed like it was not leaking gasoline so I went ahead and reset it.

Now I took it to my local mech this Monday to get a timing belt change. After he replaced the timing belt he told me the engine would stall after running in idle for 1 minute. Then he figured one of the ignition coils was shot and replaced it.

Now today he basically said the engine would crank but won't start. He said the starter motor needs to be replaced, and since its an old starter anyways I agreed.

Now this afternoon he tells me the ignition signal isn't even getting to 2 of the 3 coils including the new coil. And he suggested an ECU / ICU problem.

LOL what the **** is going on? I told him to replace all spark plugs just to rule them out. He told me fuel, timing and the 12V battery were good.

Any advice will be helpful. The car was running pretty good prior to all of this too haha.

Thanks
HRFWF

HillsRFilledWithFire 05-09-2019 10:42 PM

Update: Mech got the engine started with the new starter and pulled a P0335. He's ordering a new crankshaft position sensor. Lol hopefully it works

HunterD 05-10-2019 10:03 AM

Sorry man, but I'd be doubting your mechanic...

1. "After he replaced the timing belt he told me the engine would stall after running in idle for 1 minute. Then he figured one of the ignition coils was shot and replaced it."
Late model Monteros have Idle re-learn procedure. In order to replace the timing belt, you have to remove the battery. ECU looses all memory for TPS and Idle control. This would cause it to idle badly (and die) until re-learn procedure is performed.

2. "... today he basically said the engine would crank but won't start. He said the starter motor needs to be replaced..."
If the engine cranks - starter is doing EXACTLY what is is designed to do - turn engine over. It does not need to be replaced. The issue lies somewhere else.

3. "... the ignition signal isn't even getting to 2 of the 3 coils including the new coil. And he suggested an ECU / ICU problem.... ... I told him to replace all spark plugs just to rule them out...."
Sounds more like sensor input issue (i.e. crank position) than ECU. In every single troubleshooting diagram/tree ECU replacement is absolutely the last step and only if everything else checks out with flying colors. Also he should have discouraged you from going forward with spark plug replacement for this step. If you are not getting signal to coils, it doesn't even matter if you have good plugs, bad plugs or if they are even installed...

4. P0355 code.
Still ignition related. Did he confirm if this error comes from one coil, multiple coils, all coils? Is the problem on ECU signal side or on the output site (wires and plugs)?

You can't troubleshoot Monteros by throwing parts at them. Actually, you can, but only if you don't mind lightening your wallet in a hurry.

HillsRFilledWithFire 05-10-2019 07:41 PM

Update: my dude came through n got it started. Turns out both the starter and crank sensor crapped out. Now the car is running better than before.