Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

3.0 V6 Interchange Info Pls

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Default 3.0 V6 Interchange Info Pls

Aloha,
New to the world of trucks and Mitsubishis. I just recently acquired a 2002 Montero Sport LS. I would like to know what other Mitsubishi and Daimler/Chrysler products use the same 3.0 V6 engine and automatic transmission. Reason being is that I'm finding it rather difficult to find performance upgrades specifically for this engine in a Montero Sport. I have learned to look to other lines using same powertrain to get parts to 'adapt' to my combo.

I seem to get the impression that the Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT uses the same engine. Is that true? Do they also use the same transmission? What other lines uses this engine and/or transmission? I've heard that it's even harder to find stuff for the 3.5 V6. Is the 3.5 a larger version of the 3.0 or a different V6?

Mahalo for any answers!
-Lance

Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: 3.0 V6 Interchange Info Pls

there are virtually no mods for the 3.5 (assuming ur talking about the montero) but for ur 3.0 V6... you can get intercoolers turbo BOV oil catch cans pistons rods feul injecters regulators pumps ct back exaust and pipes struts shocks springs and blocks sway bars and more

Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 AM

Thanks for replying. Ok, I'll pass on the 3.5 as a potential swap candidate. However, I still need confirmation: does the Montero Sport LS share the same basic engine as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and it's sister car the Dodge Stealth?

If this is true then I could order parts that was designed for these engines and adapt them to my Monty Sport's engine. Of late, I have not had much luck in finding parts labeled as for the Montero Sport. However, IF the Monty uses the same basic engine as the 3000GT/Stealth V6, which I know has a fairly large aftermarket support (at least much larger than the Monty Sport), then it's concievable that I could adopt parts from those engines. Of course, it will be a real trick to make them work without the OBD2 (or OBD3?) system complaining.

But imagine being able to do stuff like swapping in, for example, the Stealth top end for more rpms, the 3000GT's aftermarket computers for more power after swapping in it's computer/wiring harness, the list could go on and on. I do know for a fact that the Stealth/3000 has an aftermarket turbosystem available, hell, the JDM market version of these cars has turbos from the factory! Now tht would be really cool, a turbocharged Monty that has the gutsy power to keep up with some of the fast cars. At least the slower ones, I'm under no illusion regarding the Monty's handling prowess, or the lack thereof.

Of course, the suspension and drivetrain is going to be another story, this is gonna be a harder nut to crack. Is there any good aftermarket companies that either specialize or at least majors in Mitsubishi, and may I hope, Montero Sports specifically?

I would like specific informations:
Where can i get the parts already vaguely listed.
Who makes these parts.
Who sells these parts.

You've listed exhaust, I havent even found any designed for the Montero Sport. The best I've found is a V8 hotrod kit from Magnaflow, where I'd end up using only one side. Unless I can figure out a way to have true dual exhaust without having to relocate half of the underside components on the left side. I'm mostly worried about the gas tank that is on the left side

Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM

thyre both 3.0 so may be a chance...but i doubt it....and you can go to www.truckaddons.com www.jcwhitney.com and www.andysautosport.com

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

also cehck company sites (ex magna flow) u can get an exaust kit you can custom make with your own bends

Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Well how much torque and hp are you looking for and how much money are you thinking to spend? Also what application are you using your monty for? Street/commuter vehicle? Off road? Towing rig?

There are accessories out there with everything from stupid power upgrades to high $$$ high HP superchargers. Depends on your goals.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 PM

the 3.5 has more potential then the 3.0 fab your own parts and make a twin turbo 3.5l like some of the 3/s guys are doing.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 PM

dont blow ur engine though...i posted a vid of a guy that turboed his 3.5 and had 31psi and he f*****his car up

Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 AM

HI,
I just read this thread and I'm wondering if you had any luck with your project.
I have an '01 Montero Sport and with 200k on the motor I'm looking for a new one. I found a 3000GT turbo motor and I have the same question as you. Will it bolt up?
My name is Bill and I could use some info if you have the time.
Thanks.