Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   91 Montero 3.0 stuck in 4x4 (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/91-montero-3-0-stuck-4x4-57290/)

base4door 04-16-2024 06:01 PM

91 Montero 3.0 stuck in 4x4

91 Gen 1 Montero LS 3.0 in 4X4, manual locking front hubs. ?solenoid, cannister, hubs?
everything appears working normally in the cab selecting 2wd and reversing til the lock light off the dash, but I'm sure I'm in 4wd.

I don't see a vacuum clutch boot, a vacuum solenoid, a cannister or any of the usual suspects. front locking hubs show 2wd.
I'm running out of body parts to scratch in confusion...
Can the locking hubs seize ON ? Have I just looked everywhere but the right place ? or what ? Hyelp, my fantastic friends...
and where is the oil pressure regulator located ? (the threaded single pole switch about an inch long)

monteroprospect 04-18-2024 03:15 PM

I just bought a 85 with the same sort of issue. only drive in 4wd.
The truck will be arriving in a few days.
I will let you know if we figure anything out after putting it on the lift.

base4door 04-18-2024 05:34 PM

Likely the canister for that year i'd suspect. I'll be interested to know, and the model. Best wishes.

monteroprospect 04-25-2024 03:31 PM

I got my montero on the lift and seems like the wheels are sezed except for the pasenger side front wheel
It seems like its the hubs or something holding the wheels from spinning.

base4door 04-27-2024 11:33 AM

Ok, I'm a little embarrassed by my diagnosis... I am in 2wd,
the front driveshaft is still in the same position while moving the vehicle.
I think I'm dealing with an old bearing problem across the vehicle and it just feels like 4wd performance.

monteroprospect 04-27-2024 04:08 PM

I opened the brake drums and discovered that my brake shoes where locked do to the brake cylinders that are essentialy the calipers for the brakes ordered the rears for 50 dollars.

monteroprospect 04-27-2024 04:09 PM

what is this canister your referring too?

base4door 04-28-2024 04:25 PM

Wow, Seized drum brakes, intense... Try Rock Auto dot com for better prices. The cannister mentioned is related to the vacuum line that depresses the 4wd "clutch".
Which I do not have on my 91, and still find nothing responsible for 4wd, may be integrated solenoid or something...

base4door 04-28-2024 04:26 PM

This link is showing up as unsecure today, I might bounce from this forum if that stays the same...

monteroprospect 05-01-2024 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by base4door (Post 338747)
Wow, Seized drum brakes, intense... Try Rock Auto dot com for better prices. The cannister mentioned is related to the vacuum line that depresses the 4wd "clutch".
Which I do not have on my 91, and still find nothing responsible for 4wd, may be integrated solenoid or something...

the brakes were seized due to locked up brake bleed cylinders. front drivers side brake caliper is still locked up, the other sides wheel spins free

the truck does not engage the rear 2 wheel drive mode. only in 4wd a when when 4wd lever is ;;;;;;;;