Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   92 - 99 Montero Fuel Pump Assembly Replacement (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/92-99-montero-fuel-pump-assembly-replacement-53246/)

1960StudebakerHawk 05-26-2019 10:17 AM

92 - 99 Montero Fuel Pump Assembly Replacement

Greetings. I have run into the very common issue of the fuel pump assembly unit getting rusty on the flat top, and the two exiting fuel lines rusted and sprung leaks. Here is a pic of the fuel pump assembly from the 1999 Montero SR:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/mitsubi...cf5bffba50.jpg

It has a fuel exit line and a fuel return line on the top. Also, there is the 2 prong connection for the fuel pump, and a 3 prong connection for the Tank Pressure Sensor.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/mitsubi...988d65f04f.jpg

My questions for the experts are:

1. Looking online on ebay and other places, these assemblies range from $1000 (from the rip-off parts gypsies) down to around $300. Then, I found some other makes that "appear" to be about the same, and might fit, and these range from $65 to $150. No one mentions the diameter of this top fuel pump flange assembly. I measured the rusty one that I removed to be about 5 1/8" or 130mm in diameter. Does anyone know if the units made for the Montero Sport will have this same diameter, and mount onto the Montero tank? (I am not worried about the two lines being a bit different, as we can always cut the metal lines on the new pump, and use a rubber gas line to link with the metal Montero fuel lines).

2. Any other sources for an exact fit, without being ripped-off by these greedy parts gypsies?

3. Any other suggestions?

4. We are also considering drilling out the old rusty lines in the old assembly and JB Welding new lines in their place. Has anyone done this before?

5. Some new units come without the black electric lead for the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. If this Pressure Sensor wire is not plugged-in and used, will the Montero still start and run properly? Will it be merely a warning light coming on in the dash?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/mitsubi...d853787fca.jpg

By the way, it is alot easier to remove the lines and retrieve this assembly if you first jack up the rear end and place jack stands on the frame in front of the rear axle, and then let the differential/rear axle drift downward. This gives you alot more elbow room in that tight area. Its a must to use some pick tools to pick away at the 6 small 8mm nuts/threads that hold it to the gas tank, and then spray alot of PB Blaster on them, use a wire brush on them, and pick some more. If they get tight as they are coming off, stop and turn the nut back on a turn, then use the pick tools again on the threads, spray more lube, and take it on off. One of the nuts was so corroded that it was missing a side, and a small vice grip did the trick.

Thanks for all suggestions/advice.

1960StudebakerHawk 05-27-2019 04:59 PM

Any suggestions on this fine Memorial Day?

1960StudebakerHawk 06-09-2019 07:54 AM

Got no replies from anyone, but I will give a useful update:

We bought a new fuel pump assembly for $65, which was not a direct fit. It was for a Montero Sport, and had longer metal lines on top, and way too long.

We just cut the top lines, and reduced the total length by cutting the bracket down and rescrewing the pump on.......Well worth the extra work instead of paying $500+ for a "direct fit" assembly.

JPG3211 07-11-2019 08:37 AM

was the top of the assembly for the "sport" the same as the LS? I have a 95 Montero and the leak has become to bad to drive. I have had one on order form China, but it may not get here until the 26th. Where did you find the part you used? How soon did you receive it or did you find it at a local parts supplier?

1960StudebakerHawk 07-11-2019 10:34 AM

JPG.......Since its been over a month since I began this thread, and I got no replies at all, no comments, no suggestions, I wonder if I should even respond. What goes around, comes around. It takes time to take clear pictures, and download/upload onto this site, and it sucks to get zero replies.

The 99 Montero is my brother's, and I believe he just ordered it from eBay. It was for a Montero Sport, and was only $65......so, Im sure you can go to eBay and find it. As I mentioned above, he had to cut the pump support bracket to make it shorter, and also cut the long metal lines coming out the top to make them shorter. Then, just use a rubber fuel line and clamps to connect the top to the existing metal fuel line going to the fuel filter.

HunterD 07-12-2019 08:45 PM

Sorry man. I've seen your post and the question. But usually, if I don't know the answer I try not to butt in and hope that someone who ether dealt with this or knows the situation better can give a good answer. It might feel like you are shouting into a void, but trust me - you're not. We are still here no matter how few of us there are.

1960StudebakerHawk 07-12-2019 08:56 PM

Hunter D.....By all means, go ahead and butt in and toss out any thought you might have. I think you are right.....there are not many of us out there, so I guess we need to hang together the best we can. At the rate Im going, from never knowing what a Montero was a year ago to now owning several, I might end up knowing these old rigs pretty good, and might be helping others years down the road. I have alot of projects to work on, from replacing head gaskets to perhaps trying a partial frame replacement (one of my Monteros has some pretty bad rust/rot on frame around rear differential). So, could be alot of "How To" threads with a ton of pictures if I manage to do them all. I tell you, at the price of new 4x4s, makes restoring these old classics more fun and well worth it.

HunterD 07-13-2019 12:51 AM

Couldn't agree more - we've got to stick together. Also in agreement with you on new vehicles. In my case, the bigger turn off for them is not even the price. What bugs me more is the excessive need for some sort of net/web connectivity and all "make you feel good" safety sensors - blind spot detectors, pedestrian detectors, etc. What if you just want to go Mad Max one day? You just can't do it properly in these new car machines :) (JK btw)
Back to the topic of actually working on cars. Unfortunately I have no experience with frame restoration, but do know a good amount about welding and some fabrication. If I think I can be helpful - I'll butt in :D

1960StudebakerHawk 07-13-2019 06:35 AM

HunterD.......I agree with you about those overpriced/over-complex new rides. I just cant imagine tossing $100k at a Ford Truck (and some are even higher). Holy Krap Batman! I will spend 1k on an old Monty and put in fine shape and have a 4x4 with a true rear Diff. Lock, and all the creature comforts I will ever want.......and I can work on it (not as easy as my ole 69 Chevy C10, but I am learning).

I hear you about the coming Mad Max scene......its gonna happen, just a matter of when. The world has gone completely knutz.....a dollar backed by nothing, 50 trillion in debt, stock market over 27k., and poor ole silver still only $15/oz. The house of cards will soon fall.

HunterD 01-29-2022 05:46 PM

Well, I'm having a rotten day... The fuel pump on my 2001 Monty just quit. I can't believe they made them to last only 250k miles. JK :) This is still original fuel pump from the day the car left factory in Japan.
I've noticed that last few startups took longer cranking than normal before firing up. A little bell rang in my head - may need to check fuel system. Well, it finally bit the dust couple days ago. You can crank it all you want, but there is zero fuel coming out of the line. I get voltage at the tank pump connector, but no sound from the pump at all.
Looked all over for the parts and I just don't trust a $15 pumps listed as "fits your vehicle". Knowing that my Monty has allergies to non OEM parts, I went ahead and ordered actual Mitsubishi pump :)
Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted on my progress.