Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   99 Nativa No Reverse (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/99-nativa-no-reverse-52992/)

TurboPirate 03-10-2019 09:02 PM

99 Nativa No Reverse

Hello to you all, found this forum after doing some Google, I just got a 4 cylinder 2.4 SOHC automatic transmission 1999 Mitsubishi Nativa, here in PR is named like that on other parts of the world is named Montero Sport, It runs forward all speeds but it won't run on reverse, I noticed the speedometer doesn't work neither the odometer where you can see how many miles the vehicle has runned, Tach works, Temp and gas level, SRS light is ON I know it's got to do with air bag system, check engine lights up at start and then goes off, trans fluid it's at level but it is black.....in reverse I hear no noise so I was thinking maybe is an electronic selenoid not working......or You guys might know or point me to the right direction, thanks in advance TP

jburney 03-11-2019 09:21 AM

First, do your basic homework. Do some reading. Check your error codes with a reader. Also download a service manual (See sticky thread on this forum), and locate the solenoid and read the service portion of the manual regarding it. RTFM really applies here.

Second, figure out what to do about changing the trans filter and a partial change of the fluid. Obviously you need change both to because your fluid is black. It is expensive fluid, so you have a $ decision to make, and you probably don't want to have to change the fluid twice for some reason.

Third, figure out whether you want to get a solenoid and change it without any further diagnosis. Again, a $ decision with no guarantee that it will solve the issue. If it is accessible from the trans oil pan (I don't know, but suspect it is), you could do it at the same time as the trans fluid service. The trans oil pan is not hard to remove, although there are two pan bolts at the rear of the pan that are a little hard to reach on a 2002, and the silicone gasket material is a bit of a pain to get to let go. Some earlier models appear to require that you remove a cross member but I am not sure. If you do pull the pan, be almost paranoid about cleanliness. Like cover the trans while it is open if you are in a dusty environment or in the driveway (e.g. use a garbage bag with a hole in it to allow the drips to drop into a pan, etc.), wipe your tools clean of any sand, etc. And test the pan for flatness before reinstalling, and clean the rim of both surfaces with brake clean before applying silicone, and follow silicone tube instructions on tightening (initial install finger tight, wait x hours before torquing) etc.

Fourth, there are several write-ups on the web regarding draining all of the trans fluid (even more expensive), not just a partial change, something to consider doing at the same time,especially if your fluid is black.

Fifth, there is one write-up on the web, a Russian guy, who had his trans temp sensor wiring harness fall off, giving a p0710 code "Open transmission temperature sensor circuit." I had the exact same thing happen, and his excellent write-up (in Russian, google-translated, and excellent pictures) was the only way I was able to fix mine. I say this because as long as you have the trans pan off, you should wire this clip into place because it is a matter of time for the clip to snap off and it falls off. Symptoms are the p0710 error code, of course, and rough shifting when the trans fluid warms up between all gears. This was a really easy fix, and it let me buy my 2002 for $350 and get it back on the road.

Good luck.

HunterD 03-11-2019 11:21 AM

I'd hold off on jumping to replacing transmission fluid as first step. Good Mitsubishi trans fluid is expensive and you do not want to dump newly replaced fluid as a step 2 in your repairs. Sounds like the fluid needs changing, but not before you know what is the issue you are having. As an analogy - you if your engine doesn't turn, you will not start by changing engine oil because it is really black. Run all diagnostics with old fluid. It's not going to hurt the vehicle for now.

You might be dealing with multiple issues here, so a good and thorough diagnostics is where you need to start. Things to check -
1. fluid level (did you check it with engine running?)
2. Transmission linkage - anything binding? Confirm that it is actually shifting from Reverse to Neutral and then to Drive. If you have a mechanical cable, make sure things under the vehicle move when and where they suppose to.
3. Check electronics - test signals at solenoids and at transmission module.

Hopefully by this stage you'll isolate what the issue is. Check for stored error codes in transmission module.
You might have one or more of various issues compounding the problem. Once you know what you are working with, address that. Make sure the vehicle CAN move forward and after that do a transmission fluid change.
Definitely find the manual. Trying to diagnose transmission problems "blind" is more than difficult. Manual will give you the steps to follow to isolate the problem and point you to the things that we may not even suspect as causing the problems (say a wheel sensor, or something like that). As jburney suggests, google and read up more. There is lots of good info from Australian and Russian sites (in English) on how to troubleshoot these vehicles with basic tools.

TurboPirate 03-11-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jburney (Post 326312)
First, do your basic homework. Do some reading. Check your error codes with a reader. Also download a service manual (See sticky thread on this forum), and locate the solenoid and read the service portion of the manual regarding it. RTFM really applies here.

Second, figure out what to do about changing the trans filter and a partial change of the fluid. Obviously you need change both to because your fluid is black. It is expensive fluid, so you have a $ decision to make, and you probably don't want to have to change the fluid twice for some reason.

Third, figure out whether you want to get a solenoid and change it without any further diagnosis. Again, a $ decision with no guarantee that it will solve the issue. If it is accessible from the trans oil pan (I don't know, but suspect it is), you could do it at the same time as the trans fluid service. The trans oil pan is not hard to remove, although there are two pan bolts at the rear of the pan that are a little hard to reach on a 2002, and the silicone gasket material is a bit of a pain to get to let go. Some earlier models appear to require that you remove a cross member but I am not sure. If you do pull the pan, be almost paranoid about cleanliness. Like cover the trans while it is open if you are in a dusty environment or in the driveway (e.g. use a garbage bag with a hole in it to allow the drips to drop into a pan, etc.), wipe your tools clean of any sand, etc. And test the pan for flatness before reinstalling, and clean the rim of both surfaces with brake clean before applying silicone, and follow silicone tube instructions on tightening (initial install finger tight, wait x hours before torquing) etc.

Fourth, there are several write-ups on the web regarding draining all of the trans fluid (even more expensive), not just a partial change, something to consider doing at the same time,especially if your fluid is black.

Fifth, there is one write-up on the web, a Russian guy, who had his trans temp sensor wiring harness fall off, giving a p0710 code "Open transmission temperature sensor circuit." I had the exact same thing happen, and his excellent write-up (in Russian, google-translated, and excellent pictures) was the only way I was able to fix mine. I say this because as long as you have the trans pan off, you should wire this clip into place because it is a matter of time for the clip to snap off and it falls off. Symptoms are the p0710 error code, of course, and rough shifting when the trans fluid warms up between all gears. This was a really easy fix, and it let me buy my 2002 for $350 and get it back on the road.

Good luck.

Will do thanks, I just found the model of the trany, 03-72L

TurboPirate 03-11-2019 09:02 PM

Allow me to add that the Nativa runs forward, it shifts from 1-2, 2-3 but from 3-4 it only shifts if I released the gas pedal completely then it shifts to 4 no slipping all good, just not reverse.....

HunterD 03-12-2019 12:13 AM

In this case, if you are using the vehicle, do the fluid change. Still look up manuals to help with troubleshooting the transmission. If only a single range (reverse) doesn't work, it is possible that it is a single sensor/solenoid malfunction. How does the vehicle act when you shift into Reverse? Does engine RPM drop, or stays the same as in Park or Neutral?
Does vehicle roll like it's in Neutral or does it stays stationary?

TurboPirate 03-12-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 326323)
In this case, if you are using the vehicle, do the fluid change. Still look up manuals to help with troubleshooting the transmission. If only a single range (reverse) doesn't work, it is possible that it is a single sensor/solenoid malfunction. How does the vehicle act when you shift into Reverse? Does engine RPM drop, or stays the same as in Park or Neutral?
Does vehicle roll like it's in Neutral or does it stays stationary?

When I shift to reverse there is a rmp behavior but just for a second goes back to normal like in park or neutral, the SUV just goes with gravity, if is down it goes forward if it's the other way go back like if it was in neutral.......I am removing the trans pan and replace the filter once there will check the selenoid, I did notice outside the tranny a plug that looks melted.........I am again cleaning with degreaser and this time a pressure washer to clean the tranny and around to have a clear view of everything......will let you know what I find..... thanks TP

TurboPirate 03-24-2019 01:03 AM

Hello gang, I have looked all the manuals on the download section but I can't find exactly where is the reverse selonoid, I want to be sure before I remove the pan, also will install new filter

TurboPirate 04-18-2019 10:53 AM

Hello, I changed the filter, I used half the oil it came from the transmission and refilled with new transmission fluid, used a transmission conditioner, used the Nativa for a couple of minutes, 3 miles to be exact, and tried the reverse and it works, also on the highway it shifts from 3-4 without having to release the gas pedal, now the only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer, and I think I might need another one, I checked all the fuses and the speedometer doesn't work, the LCD part also doesn't work, with the scanner using live data I can see miles per hour working perfectly so the sensor is not the problem.....any ideas?
After today's drive I drove about an hour and check engine light came ON, connected the scanner got 2 codes both the same number P0170 fuel trim something, can't remember I kept driving switched to live data to see the MPH........

TurboPirate 04-26-2019 10:16 PM

Hello gang, today I noticed something new, I felt another shift, I stopped on the red light and counted again, and today the transmission it started working what I know as a lock up, it wasn't doing that I thought it was a 4 speed only, it seems the transmission conditioner it's doing it's job the more I use the Nativa, thanks to you all with your information, now I need to fix the speedometer.........