Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

I may have the dreaded (hydraulic timing belt tensioner failure)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 AM
Default I may have the dreaded (hydraulic timing belt tensioner failure)

What do the masses say?

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited 4X4
3.5L
Automatic Transmission

Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 AM

I know its not a rod bearing..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by larry4406
I know its not a rod bearing..
Thank you for your input, Larry.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:15 AM

It doesn't quite sound like the timing belt tensioner failure. To make sure it is not one of your accessories, do the following - remove one belt at a time and see if the noise is still there. If you remove a particular belt and noise goes away - you found the accessory that was making the noise. If on the other hand you removed all the belts and the noise remains - then it is the timing belt tensioner.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
It doesn't quite sound like the timing belt tensioner failure. To make sure it is not one of your accessories, do the following - remove one belt at a time and see if the noise is still there. If you remove a particular belt and noise goes away - you found the accessory that was making the noise. If on the other hand you removed all the belts and the noise remains - then it is the timing belt tensioner.
Great advice, but my only issue is that it will only happen when it's cold weather outside and it has started to get warm in my neck of the woods. I would most likely have to perform this at night when it's cooler out. The noise will only last for a minute or two at best of actual running time.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by terylsdad
Great advice, but my only issue is that it will only happen when it's cold weather outside and it has started to get warm in my neck of the woods. I would most likely have to perform this at night when it's cooler out. The noise will only last for a minute or two at best of actual running time.
In that case it is even more likely to be one of he idler pulleys or accessories. I'd still do a quick test to see if you get lucky to catch the sound. If it only does it when engine is cold and for just a few moments - don't run engine for too long and wait enough for it to cool off before testing another belt. Unfortunately that will extend the test, but I still think its worth doing.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 AM

This person has a similar noise coming from their Montero.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 AM

Yes, the second video is more like the tensioner failure I've experienced. When it happened to me, the noise would be HORRIBLE at idle, but as soon as you rev it up just a little - it would disappear completely. I did the serpentine belt removal and experienced no change in symptoms. This is how I knew it was timing belt tensioner.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:46 PM

I also agree it sounds like the timing belt tensioner.

Originally Posted by HunterD
Yes, the second video is more like the tensioner failure I've experienced. When it happened to me, the noise would be HORRIBLE at idle, but as soon as you rev it up just a little - it would disappear completely. I did the serpentine belt removal and experienced no change in symptoms. This is how I knew it was timing belt tensioner.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by jp1985
I also agree it sounds like the timing belt tensioner.
jp1985,

The first video is my vehicle and the second is of another I saw online. If it's started when it's cold and the rattle is happening, it doesn't matter if I rev the engine or drive it, the noise is persistent until it starts to warm up a little. I probably should have put that in my first post.

Quick Reply: I may have the dreaded (hydraulic timing belt tensioner failure)