Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Any problem areas I should worry about with Montero? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/any-problem-areas-i-should-worry-about-montero-3479/)

speedform 02-25-2005 02:23 AM

Any problem areas I should worry about with Montero?

I'm thinking of purchasing a used Montero ('95'97-LS or SR). Are there any serious issues with the truck I should worry about before purchase? Thanks,

Winshawn 02-25-2005 08:58 PM

RE: Any problem areas I should worry about with Montero?

The 95 and up Montero's are good because they have an updated valve stem seal design that seems to last longer than their old style. The main difference between the 3.5L engine and the 3.0 engine is the 3.0 is a 24V SOHC and 3.5 is 24V DOHC. Thus, the 3.5 has a much longer timing belt and is more prone to break which will destroy either of these engines. The main maintenance item is the timing belt replacement which is fairly difficult and expensive ($550 for the dealer). The plugs require the intake plenum to be removed but they last about 60k miles. (only use the really good Denso or NGK plugs). The rear cam plugs tend to leak on these engines after a while. A rear cam plug leak often looks like a valve cover leak. Check the color of the tran fluid, if it is brown it has not been changed in a while. The trans fluid should be replaced periodically (30k). The throttle body needs to be cleaned periodically. (30k mi). There are about 15 lube fittings for the suspension and drive train.

All in all these are incredibly reliable cars. The engines have been known to go 300k miles along with the transmissions.

jcasaccio 01-18-2006 01:20 PM

Winshawn-

I also have an 03 Ltd. Have you seen the lube/grease fittings on the car? I cannot find any on the suspension or the propeller shaft. Am I totally blind? I have 30k and want to lube them (if they exist and are not sealed units). Any advice?

Thanks!
Jack

Winshawn 01-23-2006 04:46 PM

I do not think any lube fittings exist on the '03.

Make sure you change your tranny fluid at 30k. Also make sure you only use Mitsubishi fluid.

Winston

off roader 01-24-2006 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

Make sure you change your tranny fluid at 30k. Also make sure you only use Mitsubishi fluid.

Winston
Winston,

While not exactly true (there are likely other fluids that are rated to work in a Mitsu Tranny) you'll probably be hard pressed to find them.

Whatever you do, don't go and put something like Mobil 1 in there. Mobil 1 isn't compatible with our tranny's and I know someone who's personally had to rebuild his 2x because he used Mobil one. Even seen the pic's of the damage caused by using the Mobil 1 fluid.

Ray

spyderman 01-27-2006 12:58 PM

I have had my 98 Montero SR (or whatever the loaded SUV is called) since 2001 and have over 103k on it...only have had to change the timing belt and performed the 60k service...that was about 1200.00 total. I need to do the trans change again. No other problems except I needed a new battery about year back and I think my starter is starting to act up? I love the truck and the variable suspension and the different options for 4WD are perfect for me as I live in Colorado and get up to the mountains all the time. Highly recommended IMO...my friends that I take up to the ski resorts love the truck as well - comfortable and a HUGE sunroof, great sound system with a 10 disc changer - plenty of space for up to 5 snowboarders/skiiers if we use a rack.

b3rnard 07-25-2006 09:11 PM

hello all,

i am new to the site. i'm glad to have found this forums.... i'm about to purchase 99 with 75k miles on it. and i was browsing around to see what people have been doing to keep these trucks running.

they seem very reliable, a bit expensive to maintain - but what car is not :). i am having the dealer install a new timing belt, since i did some background checking on the car and found out it has not been done, thanks to carfax (thats not a plug). when i get it i guess i will be doing a quite a bit of garage work to make sure all the fuilds are the right color and level :)

thanks.

b3rnard 07-25-2006 09:15 PM

interesting... i experienced a similiar situation with an AT Honda. I tried using an off the shelf brand and the car ran like crap, even though the grade/viscosity is exactly the same.

drained the new oil and put the Honda brand in and it ran like new again.

I guess I will be looking out for this on mitsubishi too.

ORIGINAL: off roader

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

Winston
Winston,

While not exactly true (there are likely other fluids that are rated to work in a Mitsu Tranny) you'll probably be hard pressed to find them.

Whatever you do, don't go and put something like Mobil 1 in there. Mobil 1 isn't compatible with our tranny's and I know someone who's personally had to rebuild his 2x because he used Mobil one. Even seen the pic's of the damage caused by using the Mobil 1 fluid.

Ray

off roader 07-27-2006 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: b3rnard

interesting... i experienced a similiar situation with an AT Honda. I tried using an off the shelf brand and the car ran like crap, even though the grade/viscosity is exactly the same.

drained the new oil and put the Honda brand in and it ran like new again.

I guess I will be looking out for this on mitsubishi too.
I want to clarify that what I was talking about is a problem for the Transmission fluid, not the engine oil.

Winshawn 08-02-2006 12:58 PM

B3nard,

I would have the dealer change the water pump too.

Also, change all the fluids including:

Rear differential
Front Differential
Transfer Case
AT Fluid
Flush Brake Fluid
New Coolant
New alternator belt and AC belt.

IMHO