Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Can't get the rear camber adjusted. (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/cant-get-rear-camber-adjusted-49991/)

Toddscarpenter 08-07-2016 10:02 AM

Can't get the rear camber adjusted.

Every time I've taken my 2003 Montero to the alignment shop, they never can get the camber adjusted to the specifications. Anyone had this problem? Possible cause/fix Thanks

HunterD 08-07-2016 08:23 PM

Are you original owner? Have the vehicle been in an accident?

Toddscarpenter 08-08-2016 03:55 PM

I've had the Montero since 2003. No accidents, but over the course of time, the rear end fails to get aligned. I sometimes wonder what's wearing out back there.

HunterD 08-08-2016 08:24 PM

In that case some of the bushings on the rear arms wore out completely. You probably should take care of this sooner rather than later. Otherwise you will be looking at replacing lower or trailing arms instead of the bushings.

Toddscarpenter 08-10-2016 02:27 PM

Didn't think about that! I'll check into that. Thanks!

guangui 08-14-2016 05:33 PM

Yes, check bushings, arms, ball joints, etc. If you don't find a problem, might even be the eccentric adjusters that could be worn. When aligning the rear, the camber needs to be adjusted prior to adjusting toe. If they are doing it backwards, then it could be an issue.

Factory Alignment Specs Are:

Camber: 0 Deg. with a tolerance of +/- 30 minutes per Wheel, Difference between right and left wheels settings, must not be +/- 30 minutes of each others reading.

Left Wheel Camber Adjustment: Turn eccentric adjuster clockwise for negative (-) adjustment.

Right Wheel Camber Adjustment: Turn eccentric adjuster clockwise for positive (+) adjustment.

Toe-In: 3 with a tolerance of +/- 3 mm (1/8")

Toe-In Adjustment: Same as with Camber.

UPPER ARM BALL JOINT END PLAY CHECK:

1. Raise the vehicle.

2. Move the upper arm up and down with your hands to check for an excessive play in the axial direction of the ball joint. If there is an excessive play, replace the upper arm ball joint.

TOE CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT END PLAY CHECK:

1. Raise the vehicle.

2. Move the toe control arm front and rear with your hands. If there is an excessive play, replace the toe control arm assembly.

BALL JOINT DUST COVER CHECK:

1. Inspect the dust cover for cracks or damage by pushing it with your finger.

2. If the dust cover is cracked or damaged, replace the upper arm ball joint assembly, toe control arm ball joint assembly or the stabilizer link.

NOTE: If the dust cover is cracked or damaged, it is possible that there may also be damage to the ball joint.

Toddscarpenter 08-15-2016 07:28 PM

Thanks for the excellent guidance. My knowledge level of rear suspension is minimal, so with the information received, I'm thinking of going to shop, lift it and inspect looking for issues as outlined in this thread. Will advise when I accomplish the task. I would really like to keep this Montero. Purchased it new in 2003 and has been running, and currently have 223,000 miles on it and keeps running great!

Deanoz11 08-16-2016 08:29 AM

I'm no mechanic, but had the same issue. The bushings were worn and the cam bolts were seized. I was also told that from the factory, the rears were alighed with slight tow in, which my local garage was trying to "correct". After much research, I found a local import place who had experience with this. They drilled out the old cam bolts, replaced them and the bushings and all was good. Thanks to Sports Car Clinic for my repair. Mine had gotten bad enough that it was snow plowing in the rear, killing my gas mileage and chewing up my tires...

guangui 08-20-2016 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Toddscarpenter (Post 317137)
Thanks for the excellent guidance. My knowledge level of rear suspension is minimal, so with the information received, I'm thinking of going to shop, lift it and inspect looking for issues as outlined in this thread. Will advise when I accomplish the task. I would really like to keep this Montero. Purchased it new in 2003 and has been running, and currently have 223,000 miles on it and keeps running great!

Let us know what was causing the issue.

wilde 03-28-2017 07:25 PM

confirm repair action?

Originally Posted by Toddscarpenter (Post 317008)
Every time I've taken my 2003 Montero to the alignment shop, they never can get the camber adjusted to the specifications. Anyone had this problem? Possible cause/fix Thanks

I'd like to know exactly what was worn that when replaced actually solved the issue. You get her done? I have two 2001s XLS and one started wearing the rear tires on only the inside tread abruptly and suddenly. Ate new tires down in about 6,000 miles, started showing belts, lol.

The bolts are not frozen and are not rusted frozen, so they are good. But a Honda dealer who tried to 4-wheel align it said that he couldn't get the rear camber to match up correctly. I'm wondering if they're ignorant or don't know the right specification.

The little dials with notches on both sides, can I look at those and make sense where they should be, loosen them up and tighten again, if my tires continue to wear?