Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Decoding my In-Dash Receiver (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/decoding-my-dash-receiver-576/)

vwgolf02 02-03-2004 02:50 AM

Decoding my In-Dash Receiver

I have a 2001 Mitsu. Montero and I have a problem with my tuner, i need to get a code for it. It keps on asking me for a code. anybody here that has experienced this before? Or know anyone who could help me decode my radio?</P>

</P>

Thanks </P>

</P>

</P>

fargoette 02-14-2004 09:03 PM

Hello</P>

I have the same problem but have already learned that if I can get the face plate off and get the radio serial number, all I have to do is call the dealership and they will give me the code. My problem is that I don't know how to get the face plate off to read the serial number. Do you? The dealership wants to charge me $75.00 to get the serial number for me and recode it.</P>

Can you help me?</P>

Thanks, fargoette</P>

vwgolf02 02-15-2004 04:06 AM

You could get the serial number without even getting the face plate out. Just unscrew the two scews and pull that plastic molding out and on top of the reciever is the serial number.

fargoette 02-15-2004 05:32 PM

I hate to sound like a moron and I guess it is obviousthat I am a women but which two screws are you talking about? There are no screws on or near the stereo itself, there is a molded plastic frame(no screws)around the stereo but I can't seem to get that to budge and am afraid to apply too much force. I really appreciate any help you can give me.</P>

Thanks</P>

JustMike 03-19-2004 12:47 PM

Hope you figured it out....if not:</P>

The screws are on the top of the panel that surrounds the multifunction screen. The screws are pointing up, so you might have to get lower and look up to find them. They are phillips, and they have to come out in order for the **trim** panel around the radio/climate, and associated pocket recesses to come out. The rest of thepanel is held in with clips that **snap** into place, and you can work the top dash panel up with a screw driver to free it up somewhat. Be carefullas you don't want to scratch anything.You will have to *pull* some to get it to start to come out.The panel has the air vents hooked into it also.</P>

Once out- you can easily see the 4 screws that hold in each of theitems behind the panel.</P>

Hope this helps.</P>

fargoette 03-20-2004 04:40 AM

Thanks JustMike,</P>

Actually I did get if figured out and have my stereo back up and running. In my car there are no screws on the outside of the panel but I took a screwdriver and gently pryed the frame (**trim**) off. Once off, I had to remove the screws holding the stereo in place so that I could read the serial numbers. It was a snap to reinstall the stereo and slip the **Trim** piece back in. I called the dealership and they gave me the code and I had my stereo working again. Now I have the code stored in several places so that if my battery is disconnected again I can take care of it.</P>

Thanks again, Fargo</P>

ntqman 07-26-2006 01:47 PM

RE: Decoding my In-Dash Receiver

So am I to assume that once you get the serial number, the dealership will get the code for you? I am the second owner of my 01 Montero, and I just replaced the battery not knowing about the codes. My wife and daughter then tried about 3 times to enter a code, and it supposedly locked them out. Can I get the original code, or does anyone know if it has to be re-programmed? Thanks for any help...

off roader 07-27-2006 06:51 PM

RE: Decoding my In-Dash Receiver

Code's are not reprogrammable. You have to get the S/N from the radio and get the code from the dealer.