Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Engine problem when cool (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/engine-problem-when-cool-38738/)

GilbertLarra 03-02-2011 03:29 PM

Engine problem when cool

Hi guys I have a problem that when I start my '96 Monty and run it without letting the engine warm around 5 minutes, the engine turns off. I know that every engine should be warmed before running it especially for older vehicles, but I believe 5 minutes is too much sometimes for the engine to turn off even with no electric device on (A/C, radio, lights). It started with the problem maybe a year and a half before and I've noticed it getting worse. For me it seems some electric problem but really I do not know much of that and to every person I ask around the do not know that to say.

mothman52 03-05-2011 06:27 PM

Hey, Gilbert. Maybe you could post some more specifics in order to isolate this weird problem.

When the engine quits, how does it do it? Can you restart it right away, or do you have to wait? If so, how long? Any sounds/smells you notice? What about the temperature outside? Any relation there?

Let's go for the obvious, which is sometimes easy to overlook. How's your battery? Do you have the means of testing it? Is it sealed, or, if not, how is the water level? Are the terminals tight and clean? Is your ground strap tight and gunk-free? It's easy to overlook this simple stuff but it can bite you in the posterior just the same.

Let us know some more details of your situation and maybe the answer will leap out at us...;)

mxmikie 03-21-2011 02:16 AM

iac motor is bad

mothman52 03-22-2011 06:01 PM

I'm sorry. The IAC motor? "What be that?" he asked puzzledly.... Grasshopper would like more information, please.

Sebba 03-22-2011 07:15 PM

Idle air control motor. (IAC).

mothman52 03-22-2011 10:52 PM

OK, donkey chains.

GilbertLarra 03-24-2011 04:42 PM

yeah thank you guys. Read about de IAC valve and will check it. In the case of more details, well I live in Puerto Rico so here it is always around 80 and 90 degrees, it's pretty hot. The battery is no old and I believe it is the power the monty requires, but well I have a music amp and 4 off road lights connected. I recently installed an voltage gauge and it is always around 12 volts. For the engine the problem is when I start it and its cool (has been turned off for more than 2 hours), if I put it on gear without letting the engine temp raise then it turns off. For me it is not normal because the problem began maybe a year befor and everyday it gets worse. I sometimes let the engine warm around 5 minutes and hey here in PR is hot so thats ok and when I put it in gear the engine shuts off. Sorry if this is not a good explanation.