Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Exhaust leak on my Montero (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/exhaust-leak-my-montero-25002/)

04pearllimited 01-27-2008 10:36 AM

Exhaust leak on my Montero

Hey guys I am the new guy here and to Mitsubishi. I am a old Mercedes diesel nut by heart. I do have a question about my 04 Montero Limited. I am hearing a loud ticking under the hood during acceleration when the engine is cold. However if I rev the engine in neutral or park it is just as quiet and as smooth as can be. It only happens when under a load. I am thinking it is just an exhaust leak from under the hood. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can check first? It is really annoying and embarassing especially when there are people within earshot of the racket. Thanks in advanced for the help. Awesome forum by the way

jgbrules 02-02-2008 12:36 AM

RE: Exhaust leak on my Montero

hello! that model had some exhaust manifold issues. usually the one on bank2(drivers side) is most common. there is a heat shield bolted to the top of it, so either unbolt the shield or get under the vehicle and look at it. it usually cracks in the center. kind of a pain to replace too!! good luck!! greg...

Liquid_force 03-03-2008 02:59 PM

Just found a severe crack on my passengers side manifold.
Symptoms are similar to what you describe.

jgbrules 03-04-2008 09:34 PM

i advise checking into an aftermarket manifold. one from a dealership with a gasket will run you around 450.00- 500.00. lots of sites with mitsubishi parts on them. i usually recommend factory only but i have installed several aftermarket ones with no problem!

Liquid_force 03-04-2008 11:35 PM

who sells aftermarket exhaust manifolds? I wasn't able to find any options other than a genuine mitsubishi replacement. Mitsubishiparts.com has them for <$200 shipped.
I went with a salvage part for $85 shipped.

I've read that they can be welded very cheap,but I need to get mine out and replaced in one day.

xyzik 03-08-2008 01:04 AM

pour in some seafoam, cleans the engine, will show a leak on manifold, smokes like hell, fun stuff! hehe

or maybe its spark knock, changed to lower octane lately?

Hart 01-04-2013 09:37 PM

Replacing Catalayic Converters montero sport

I'm looking to change out my converters but I dont know how to weld. I was told if i purchase the direct fit converters all i'll have to do is bolt them on. but i'm not sure where to start or what i need or dont need. just looking for some direction so i can get busy. thanks for any assistance at all. brand names, part names, measurements, anything. thanks.