Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   gray smoke (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/gray-smoke-15950/)

eir 01-14-2007 10:40 PM

gray smoke

I have gray smoke coming from the engine compartment, seems to be in the area where the exhaust pipe joins the manifold. I know I have an oil leak somewhere, but I don't know if this smoke is from the oil leak or if it could be exhaust leaking. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Sebba 01-15-2007 02:25 AM

RE: gray smoke

So you see it come out of the side of the hood? It could be oil touching the exhaust ... or maybe you have a coolant leak and that is touching the exhaust?

eir 01-15-2007 02:15 PM

Thanks Sebba for your reply. It is not obvious that any oil is hitting the exhaust pipe. The smoke appears to come from just forward of where the exhaust pipe enters the manifold. It is hard to see exactly where it originates.

Sebba 01-15-2007 05:08 PM

I think i know.

Check your radiator cap. Sometimes there is a little spring on the bottom with a rubber seal around it... and sometimes the spring isnt there... or loses its strength... or the rubber just goes crappy and with expansion pushes some of the water out.... and you get steam. That could be it.

Change the cap :D

Winshawn 01-15-2007 06:54 PM

What type of vehicle? What engine?

Typical location for oil leak on a Mitsu V6 is the rear cam plug O-ring. It drips down the back of the engine onto the tranny and exhaust pipe.

eir 01-16-2007 01:09 AM

Thanks Winshawn. Yes, it is a V6. I think that what you are saying is probably where the oil leak is. Isn't it expensive to fix that problem? Do you think stop leak would help? I really appreciate everyone's replies on this problem.

Joel_CA 01-16-2007 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: eir

Thanks Winshawn. Yes, it is a V6. I think that what you are saying is probably where the oil leak is. Isn't it expensive to fix that problem? Do you think stop leak would help? I really appreciate everyone's replies on this problem.
You really need to be more specific as to what year and model you have. "Yet, it is a V6" isn't quite good enough considering how many years the Montero and Montero Sport have had them available. Only some of us can share 1st hand experiences and accounts with these vehicles- so read the answers and chose to followwhich ofthem wisely.

J

eir 01-16-2007 12:21 PM

I'm sorry that I didn't give enough information. It is a 1989 Montero, 4X4. I took it to a garage yesterday and they confirmed it is oil leaking from many places and costing over $700 to fix. They said even then they couldn't guarantee that it would fix all the leaks and stop the smoking. So, I am wondering if anyone has had any success with using stop leak. That seems to be my only option since I can't fix it myself, and I can't drive it the way it is.

Winshawn 01-16-2007 02:15 PM

It is very difficult to confirm something is leaking from "many places". Exactly what places did they claim it was leaking from?

eir 01-16-2007 02:35 PM

The oil is leaking primarily from the valve cover. Other leaks are the rear cam plug, engine oil cooler hoses, engine pan gasket. The valve cover leak is the worst and is what is causing the smoke because it drips on the exhaust. The car has over 163K miles and I don't know if the expense is too great for a car this old.