Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Help w/Rear Fender Flare - correct part #? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/help-w-rear-fender-flare-correct-part-49670/)

nomanselizabeth 05-03-2016 04:00 PM

Help w/Rear Fender Flare - correct part #?

5 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone.

I just bought a 2003 Montero Sport ES, Satellite Silver (I think) with black trim. Part of the left rear fender flare is missing, and I would like to replace it. The flare is made out of textured black plastic. But I can't figure out if the flare actually comes in 2 parts, 1 part that separates into two sections, or whether the missing section is actually a mud guard which connects to the flare proper. There appears to be a joint on the right rear flare in exactly the place where the section is missing from the left. (see photos below). Online exploded parts diagrams aren't as clear as I might wish.

So my question is - Is the part I want MR990411, or AMT8YF2B09 or MR230943 or something else entirely?

Photos: 1st 2 photos show the right rear flare (complete) for comparison. Next 3 photos show the left with the missing section

Thank you for any help you can offer

nomanselizabeth 05-03-2016 05:57 PM

Second guessing myself also. how do you tell if you have black exterior trim, or black/gray? Might sound obvious, but on a 12 year old vehicle it isn't really clear as to what might be fading or original color

HunterD 05-03-2016 10:48 PM

Don't have Montero Sport, but looking at the photos this is definitely a two piece unit. Most likely they are sold as individual parts. When I had to find correct trim piece, I went to a local body shop (the one i had good experience with prior), had them run VIN number through their system and look up on the diagrams for the part that I needed. They were able to give me correct part numbers and in one case get the part cheaper than I could find it elsewhere.

nomanselizabeth 05-04-2016 06:59 AM

Thank you for the advice HunterD. There is a body shop within a couple of miles to me that I have to visit anyway (for a different vehicle). I will ask if they can look it up by VIN#. It does seem too clean a break (and a change in the way the trim is attached to the vehicle at that point) to be all one piece.

nomanselizabeth 05-06-2016 08:59 AM

Rear Fender Flare - Mud Guard part # SOLVED

4 Attachment(s)
For the record: Mitsubishi offered a factory installed trim kit on some 2003 ES models (not sure about other models) as an option costing around $600. The flares were made of textured black plastic. This items appear never to have been available as parts or in the aftermarket.

The rear trim cam in two parts - the primary wheel arc and a mud guard. These two pieces join at a horizontal slip joint just behind the passenger door (you can see where the split is on the pictures above). The mud flap section is ~$21" long.

There also seems to be 2 versions of this mud flap. One has a concave front/wheel-facing side, and is attached to the quarter panel with 5 fasteners (see 1st two photos below). The other has a solid convex face on both the front and back, and has 4 fastening points. (Photos #3 & 4 below).(Note: the photos of the 4 hole mud flap are for the passenger side, not the drivers side

As far as I am aware, the only way to obtain these items is through Ebay, junkyards, or other similar sellers.

Hope this is helpful to someone