Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Does Torque Converter seal Montero Sport 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:03 AM
Exclamation Does Torque Converter seal Montero Sport 4WD

I have a big issue. I just got my Montero Sport 2002 4wd out of the shop after getting my transfer case replaced on it. It was driving fine today only had to go about 15 miles home, no issues....

I waited a couple hours later until I had to go to work and i am going down the highway at 70mph or so which is the speed limit and all of a sudden i smell burning tranny fluid so I pull over to the side, pop my hood and all i see is smoke coming from burnt tranny fluid......

I crawled underneath the Montero. To see if there was any transmission fluid or any type of leak and there was nothing whatsoever. So my question is...... when replacing the transfer case on this vehicle would the torque converter be dropped down with the entire transmission and the seal replaced?

Reason I ask about the torque converter is because it is located toward the front of the engine bay exactly where the smell of tranny fluid and smoke is coming from so it must be hitting the exhaust or something.