Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Looking for a 1996 Owner's Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Default Looking for a 1996 Owner's Manual

I purchased a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero yesterday.

I can tell from the title I received, it was a check loan repo. It is a bit beat up and there is no owner's manual anywhere in the vehicle. I've looked online and the only owner's manual I have found is on eBay for $115. There is no way I will, or even can, pay out that much to get ahold of the owner's manual. Do any of you know of anywhere I might be able to find one for a better deal?

I appreciate your help. Also, since I don't have the owner's manual, I don't know what this means -- the PWR is lit up next to the little 4 wheel drive light display. If any of you know what that is telling me, I would appreciate it. I know this vehicle is going to need a lot of TLC.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:57 PM

I have a later model with a different dash light set up but as I recall the PWR indicator means your transmission is set in Power mode (shifts at higher RPMs.) Someone with the same year can confirm this but look for a switch on or near your shift lever that says something like A/T Mode or similar.

As for the manual, here are two good places to check:

www.books4cars.com

www.msrecycling.com

Good luck and welcome to Montero ownership -there are lot of helpful people here so feel free to come back often as you get your truck back up to snuff.

Ron

Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Thank you so much for your help! I will look for that switch. Next, I need to figure out the 4 wheel drive lights and figure out how to remove the "I was used as an ashtray" scent.

Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 AM

No problem -glad to help.

As to the 4 wheel drive lights, when you first turn the key (before starting) all four green wheel lights plus, I think, the rear differential orange light should come on as a "bulb test". After starting, all but the two rear green lights should go out.

In normal driving mode the two rear (bottom)wheel lights stay green. Odds are that one or both or yours a burned out. They are on all the time and almost everyone loses them every few years. It's pretty easy to pull the panel and either add new ones from the dealer, or you can swap out the "2" and "L" bulbs from the shift indicator that you never really use or need.

Ron