Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero 3.0/3.5 oil consumption...

Old 05-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Default Montero 3.0/3.5 oil consumption...

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=black size=2>Hi...I'm new to this forum, as I'm not currently an owner, but I'm in the market for a full-sizeMontero, 94-97.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>My question is this...I'm aware of the oil consumption characteristic of the Montero, but I can't seem to find agreement of exactly what the CAUSE is. I've spoken with 3 Service Advisers from different dealers and read owners reviews online. Some say the 3.0 is more affected, some say the 3.5. Some think it's the valve guides slipping out of place, others say it's deteriorating valve stem seals.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Please, which is it?...and which motor is more affected?</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Also, I'd like to know if there are any other specific issues that I should look out for in these vehicles. Any knowledgable advise is welcome!</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanx in advance...Paul</FONT></P>

</P>

Old 05-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Default RE: Montero 3.0/3.5 oil consumption...

I owned a '95 Montero, 3.0 for 151,000 miles and now have a 2002 with the 3.5. I noticed oil consumption issues after about 75,000 miles. I never had the engine torn down to see what the problem was so what follows is opinion. There are two conditions under which I noticed active smoke from the tailpipe; start-up and after a long idle. Those two conditions led me to believe it was the valve guides that caused the problem. I used a quart of oil about every 750 miles. Late in the life of the '95 I began to use an oil treatment from Lucas Oil that reduced consumption but I discovered the best way for me to deal with this was Valvoline Instant Oil Change. They give free top offs between changes. That was a lot cheaper than tearing down the engine.

Old 05-23-2004, 03:11 AM
Default RE: Montero 3.0/3.5 oil consumption...

Hey, thanx Moontero for the insight! If I can't get to the bottom of this I just may need to take little bit of bitter with a lot of sweet!!!

Paul

Old 11-05-2016, 02:58 AM

Hey guy's, I know this is wayyyy way behind the time of posting but if your still listening I have a 01 Monte Sport 3.0 LS and it has over 176,000m on it.
When I bought it the first thing I did as with any vehicle I have owned is change ALL the fluids... also, I am a beliver in slick 50. I have never had any failures or anything while using the stuff so, I keep on keeping on with it (maybe it's luck or maybe the stuff works!).
Anyways, my 176,000 + miles and have been towing a heavier travel trailer than I should, I have not had any smoke, any oil consumption whatsoever except for that damn fuel pump blocker above the alternator which caused me to replace that with an upgraded unit (they have a little shroud that's supposed to keep the oil off and out of it) yea ok, haven't had any problems thus far and it has been almost a year since (I may sound like a nut but when I wash my vehicle, I wash the engine, underside, everywhere so as when come time to work on it, you don't get all greezed up lol! Plus, it makes it alot "prettier? to look at and, to resale.
Hey thats my two cents a few years behind the power curve. Let me know about any issues ya'll have had with this if you don't mind..
Tdub 01 Monte Sport LS 3.0 32's, cold air intake (custom mfgd), coil shocks, air springs, exhaust, 3 battery w/ 5000w inverter set up, towing setup, additional lights fnt and rear, and a kick *** stereo system w/ over 4000 watts lol! yea I'm living my second childhood!
TT ya'll later!

Old 11-11-2016, 12:12 PM

it is bad valve stem seals mitsubishi had junk valve stem seals until 2000