Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Coolant Cylinder Head Bypass mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Default Coolant Cylinder Head Bypass mystery

2001 Montero Limited

So I recently had to rework the heads due to POS(previous owner syndrome) which resulted in a leaky head gasket and a sheared rocker shaft(though I suspect this is something that likely happened as a result of either a long standing factory defect or poor head mx previously). So as I was going through the job I had my one major boo boo that seems to come along with each big job and costs me time and money. As i was seating and torquing down the heads after the machine shop i came to find out that the rear cylinder head coolant bypass pipe flange had become wedged ever so slightly between the tiniest edge of the cylinder head and I assume the block. as the heads had been torqued all the way down this seriously deformed the flange. Thankfully it was not on the deck and only an outer portion of the head.... so no harm there( no visible harm, time will tell) here is the issue though that arose from this and is what I am trying to answer. I essentially crushed that mounting flange on the pipe.

The bypass pipe is different than any other i can find in any diagram or parts list. Even the dealer cant find it. When he searches by year and model one shows up but its not like mine. When he searches by VIN... nothing for that part is even in the diagram.... descriptions below... anyone have an explaination. Ive searched forums, other models with this motor, parts sites ebay....No where can i find the correct part to replace it with.

Mine is straight across totally round with both end point flanges and a single take off on the passenger bottom(US Model) obviously it has the overhead female receiver for the center tube to the thermostat housing up front as all do ... but thats it... clean simple

here is what keeps coming up.

MD324745

#MD324745: Mitsubishi. CROSSOVER PIPE

I just need to find the part to fix my uh-oh...thanks

Old 03-02-2016, 04:51 AM

This is what the coolant pipe crossover looks like on my 2002 3.5L 6G74 motor in my Montero Sport.

The two rubber hoses on the coolant pipe near the drivers side go to the heater core.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Cylinder Head Bypass mystery-rear-coolant-pipe-crossover-drivers-head-side.jpg   Coolant Cylinder Head Bypass mystery-rear-coolant-pipe-crossover-passengers-head-side.jpg  

Last edited by larry4406; 03-02-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: more detail