Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Montero Sport engine rebuild (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/montero-sport-engine-rebuild-34928/)

Obakemono 01-27-2010 11:09 AM

Montero Sport engine rebuild

Has anyone rebuilt a 24v 6G72 out of Montero? I would like to rebuild an engine for my sport, but in the interm I know I need to change the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and some gaskets while I am in the engine bay. I need to minimize the down time so I can continue to use it, but I know the valve seals will need to be replaced and the rear main seal will need to be replaced. I'm just trying to plan for the future since my funds are tight and I need a reliable vehicle. Suggestions? The Monty has 111,000 on the clock.

Rob

tdf 01-28-2010 12:08 PM

Takes a Lot of Downtime, Tools and Patience

Every time I have taken on a rebuild, it has taken the car out of service for several weeks. If you cannot have the down time then I would caution against attempting a rebuild on your own. You really need alternative wheels during the build.

On the other hand, it can be a fun challenge and when finished you will feel the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Just don't take short cuts with the recommended steps and machine shop work. Also, it will likely cost you more than you initially estimate. If you can find a friend that has done it before to help you along, that would be recommended also.

I've not rebuilt a 24 valve but I have rebuilt a 12 valve 3.0 liter.

AS FOR THE MAINTENANCE WORK. I would bust those tasks up into several sessions so you don't have the down time. Do the timing belt in one weekend for example. That rear seal is going to be a challenge with the engine in the car.

Tom

Sebba 01-28-2010 12:50 PM

Rob, why do you feel that you need a rebuild?

Honestly, it isn't necessary unless you're having piston ring seal issues (and it's been proven that it's the issue).

I do not recommend a rebuild at all. Instead simply do the timing belt maintenance ASAP. If you don't and the belt breaks, you could destroy the engine.

Obakemono 01-28-2010 10:21 PM

More thoughts.......

I was just curious about the process, as it has been several years since I had an engine apart. What I plan on doing is all the items I need to keep the engine in good health. Timing belt, idler and tensioner, water pump, spark plugs and the cam plug seals and valve cover gaskets. Might even do the camshaft seals and be done with that part of the engine. I had planned on finding a junkyard engine one day and taking my time rebuilding it, then do a swap in the future. That engine might even come out of a second sport I am looking to find (4x4), because I am wanting to get a 4D56 and transplant it.
Rob

tdf 01-29-2010 02:32 PM

Not knowing your circumstance, I was also wondering why a low mileage engine would need a rebuild. My two SOHC 3.0 liters have gone over 200k miles. One with 265k miles had to have the heads rebuilt but is still going on the factory bottom end. The other is just now showing signs of needing some attention. I would think the DOHC 24 valve would be just as long lived, but I have never owned one.

Obakemono 01-30-2010 12:24 AM

No rebuilding will be done.........

The engine runs fine, and as I stated I will just do work on the engine to keep it in good health. Just filed my tax return and will be getting all the parts ASAP. Now, on this note, where should I source the timing belt?
Rob

tdf 01-30-2010 08:15 AM

Timing Belt Sources

The word 'rebuild" in the auto world implies a whole lot more than 'maintenance'. I was thrown off by that here.

Last timing belt I sourced was from Oreilly (Schucks Auto) Auto Parts $27 to $41. They are available at NAPA I'm sure. Many on-line sources like autopartswarehouse.com also. I always change the belt tensioner also, but that is probably not always necessary.

Question for someone: The 3.0 SOHC is a non-interference engine. Is the 3.0 DOHC non-interference as well?

Obakemono 01-30-2010 12:05 PM

Rebuild........

TDF....yeah you are right, sorry if I threw people off. My idea of a "rebuild" was a mild one. Even if you pulled the heads off while the block was in the car it still would not be a total rebuild. The engine runs very well right now, good power, good gas mileage. The only thing I have problems with is an oil leak somewhere that gets on the exhaust and a noisy lash adjuster that likes to be cranky when it is cold. What I was planning on was TLC for it. Also I will break it up into 2 projects, the timing belt first then sparkplugs and gaskets for the valve covers.
Rob

tdf 01-30-2010 11:09 PM

Valve Adjusters

Sometimes the noisy valve adjuster can be fixed by simply completing a series of engine reving for a few minutes and then idle for a few minutes. Then repeat this a few times. If the adjuster has gotten air inside, sometimes this will pump it back up with oil.

Do some searches for the recommended procedure. It worked for me once.

monty98 02-03-2010 12:45 PM

Hey all, I'm from monterosportonline.com, what caught my attention was your engine rebuild. I'm currently in the process of collecting all my neccessary parts for my timing belt, camshaft seals, and valve cover seals also. I was just wondering where you plan on getting your water pump, idler pulleys, and hydraulic tensioner? I recently picked up the belt from Mitsu (don't want to risk quality issues here because of the interference) and have been looking around for the other parts?

Does anyone know the actual recommened belt change interval? I though it was every 60,000, although I could be wrong. I just rolled over 103000 so I don't think I should risk damaging my engine any longer!

Also, a note to oabkemono on the valve lash adjusters: some members of my other forum who have attempted to take out and clean these, its recommened that if you want to fix any ticking issues, just get new ones, as there are some little plastic parts that will sometimes break in the removal and re-installation of these.