Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   my mitsubishi dies every time i put it to idle (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/my-mitsubishi-dies-every-time-i-put-idle-20130/)

Vaggelis 06-29-2007 10:58 AM

my mitsubishi dies every time i put it to idle

I have Mitsubishi Montero sport, with quit a few miles, 150K to be exact. So far I had no problems whatsover. But all of a sudden the battery died. I guess there is nothing wrong with a battery dieing after 4-5 years of use. But then once I replaced the battery I noticed that the car would just died unless I push the accelerator. Once the engine goes to idle it will just go all the way to down until the car turns off it itself.
Any idea of what might be the problem? Is it possible that I accidentalely screwed something up while changing the battery?
thnaks in advance for your responces

jpmontero98 07-02-2007 03:16 PM

RE: my mitsubishi dies every time i put it to idle

could be lots of dirty and weathered parts...it also could be the oil you use....an im not sure if i can get more technical than that...i have a 122k 3g.but its no sprt so i cant 100% help you...sorry bud

off roader 07-02-2007 04:54 PM

Could be alot of things. Check your plugs and plug wires. Check your Idle Speed Controller / Idle Speed Servo for dirt and if it still works. Could also be your Engine Control Unit (ECU) aka Car Computer. Also if your ISC goes out, it can take out your ECU.

HTH.

matthew_m75 07-05-2007 01:11 AM

everything's relative. if it started when the battery died then they're related. first thing i would check is the alternator regeardless of the charge light being on. if you dont want to take off the alternator just charge your battery for a couple hours and then start it and see if the problem goes away temporarily

02Montero 07-06-2007 09:22 PM

I just encountered the same problem.... My battery died and won't hold a charge. The alternator is putting out so I threw in my Optima out of my other car and now it won't idle unless i put a load on the system such as the A/C.... has to be something related to this.

wolfhawk 07-11-2007 09:27 PM

Clean your throttle body and IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. The computer reset when the battery died, and it's been compensating for many thousands of miles of buildup in the IAC valve by not allowing the throttle body to close all the way. After the computer reset, it allows the throttle body to close all the way, and since the IAC is probably clogged, there's not enough air to maintain idle. It happened with my wife's Montero Sport. I cleaned the throttle body and IAC, and it ran like a top.

On edit...sorry, forgot the real name for the IAC...it's the Ford guy in me (we also own a Ranger, sorry :) )

slc0817 08-07-2007 12:48 PM

I'd get the timing checked and make sure your alternator is good.

dsiglin 08-11-2007 12:31 PM

Hope I'm not too late in posting this fix.

I had the exact same problem. I searched and searched. I read a lot of other Montero owners with the same problem. No one had the answer. Then, when I was on the brink of despair I found a side comment on the last post of some obscure forum. The answer was infuriatingly easy. Turn the car on and let it idle in park for 10-20 min. Your computer has to "relearn" idle settings, etc. I tried it and it worked. You will have to do this EVERY time you disconnect your battery.

jimwoo 08-25-2007 11:18 PM

Turn the car on and let it idle in park for 10-20 min.
He can't - it dies.

Stick with the advice about the ISC - if everything else seems normal excepth the idle then this is the most likely cause.

edit: ISC? IAC? you know what I mean[sm=smiley16.gif]

Sebba 08-26-2007 12:04 AM

Personally i think its a vac leak