Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Need Help With 98 Montero Underhood Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Default Need Help With 98 Montero Underhood Wiring

I just purchased a 1998 Montero Sport. I bought it for a very reasonable amount but it has some issues with the air-conditioning system. I have a service manual and am able to figure out the different HVAC components from the wiring schematic. The problem is that the previous owner hacked up the factory wiring and bypassed some of the components to make the a/c come on. If all of the components were in place and the original wiring was intact I believe I could eventually figure out why the a/c compressor won't come on. For example, the harness plug from the condenser fan was cut off and taped to one of the small wires coming from the dual pressure switch on the receiver-drier. One of the relays either the a/c compressor relay or the condenser fan relay was removed and a "jumper" wire was connected to some other relay under the hood. When I first bought the vehicle the a/c compressor was engaging but would not ever turn off and the condenser fan was not coming on. I knew that was not a good thing so I started to disconnect the messed up wiring starting at the condenser fan. I was able to find a relay that fits the a/c compressor and condenser fan. I looked in my owners manual but the diagram for the fuse box does not designate which relay is which. There is a wire coming from a component which I believe is called the ACCU in the glove compartment area. There is another relay which is totally missing in the under hood fuse box area. The condenser fan will come on if I apply 12V to it directly. I need to find a new plug and splice it in or purchase a new condenser fan. The two wires coming from the dual pressure switch were both cut and that is where the condenser fan wire was taped on to one of the wires. Would any of you happen to have some photos of the condenser fan area, the under hood fuse panels, the dual pressure switch wiring and the wiring from the fuse panel to the condenser fan? Any assistance to get my a/c going again would be highly appreciated.