Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   New to me 2002 Montero Limited coolant type? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/new-me-2002-montero-limited-coolant-type-52418/)

Brewcity1 08-04-2018 01:20 PM

New to me 2002 Montero Limited coolant type?

Hello to you all. I have tried to search this forum, but cannot for the life of me find out what type of coolant my 2002 Montero Limited uses. It seems like its orange...but I want to make sure.

i just got it delivered (160,000) yesterday, and the coolant reserve is empty.
There is a TON of oil all over the bottom of the engine as well. Should I be concerned about a head cover gasket failure, or could it be rear cam seals?

I changed the oil to see if it was milky and it was not. Looked very dark, and it seemed like some sludge on the bottom of the oil catcher when I dumped the old oil out. Not sure whats going on. : (

Thanks for the help with the coolant. I really appreciate it.

HunterD 08-05-2018 06:05 PM

It should use regular green coolant. I use Prestone in mine and it works without any issues. Most common oil leaks are from the valve covers, camshaft position sensor and camshaft seals. You can try to clean off the oil with engine de-greaser and see where new leaks will be coming from. The leaks on the bottom can also come from leaky crankshaft seals (front and/or rear). Front is relatively easy to replace, back - you have to pull transmission or engine out.
At one point I had an oil leak that was going all over the alternator. I was concerned about head gasket being blown. I talked to a mechanic at our local Mitsubishi dealership and he said he never saw a Montero with a blown head gasket and the most likely culprit of oil leak was front camshaft seal on passenger site. He was !00% right about that. Once I pulled the timing belt cover I could see oil all over there. When driving, the oil was flung back onto the engine giving an impression of oil leaking all over the head gasket area.

Brewcity1 08-05-2018 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 324668)
It should use regular green coolant. I use Prestone in mine and it works without any issues. Most common oil leaks are from the valve covers, camshaft position sensor and camshaft seals. You can try to clean off the oil with engine de-greaser and see where new leaks will be coming from. The leaks on the bottom can also come from leaky crankshaft seals (front and/or rear). Front is relatively easy to replace, back - you have to pull transmission or engine out.
At one point I had an oil leak that was going all over the alternator. I was concerned about head gasket being blown. I talked to a mechanic at our local Mitsubishi dealership and he said he never saw a Montero with a blown head gasket and the most likely culprit of oil leak was front camshaft seal on passenger site. He was !00% right about that. Once I pulled the timing belt cover I could see oil all over there. When driving, the oil was flung back onto the engine giving an impression of oil leaking all over the head gasket area.

Yet again...you come through for me HunterD! I truly appreciate your help.
I noticed today when I tried to clean up as much of the caked on oil under the engine...that there is a leak that is dripping onto the starter shield, then goes down to the catalytic converter (passenger side) when I run the engine for about 10 minutes. It makes it smoke something awful. I think this is why I have white smoke out the tailpipe as well. That same cat is caked with burnt oil now as well. Should I have it replaced?
Is this what you are talking about with the passenger cam shaft seal?

HunterD 08-06-2018 01:36 AM

It sounds more like the leak is coming from the rear of the valve covers. Camshaft seals are on the front of the heads, where the timing gears connect to them. Drivers side head also has a cam position sensor on the back. The o-ring that seals around the sensor often leaks, but the leak would be on opposite side of the engine and not over the starter. Replace valve cover seals and clean off as much of oil with de-greaser and brake fluid. That should eliminate the smoke from oil on hot exhaust.

Brewcity1 08-06-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 324673)
It sounds more like the leak is coming from the rear of the valve covers. Camshaft seals are on the front of the heads, where the timing gears connect to them. Drivers side head also has a cam position sensor on the back. The o-ring that seals around the sensor often leaks, but the leak would be on opposite side of the engine and not over the starter. Replace valve cover seals and clean off as much of oil with de-greaser and brake fluid. That should eliminate the smoke from oil on hot exhaust.

Okay...will do. I 'll let you how it goes.
Thanks so much!