Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Default Oil leak

hello

s it the montero sport"s main "problem?
i saw an oil leak from the underchassis of the engine...
but nothing on the garage floor....only in the side of the underchassis
engine...What king of oil leak problem or how big of a problem would that be? is it minor? mechanic said change the valve cover.
what do i need to change..any suggestions would be very helpful
thanks

Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 PM

If you can tighten all the valve cover bolts you can get too. That is about it for repairing oil leaks without tearing into the engine big time to get at the seals. My Monty leaks oil from a cam seal, the rear cam plug o-rings, and did leak from the valve covers but once I tightened them it slowed way down in the leaking oil department.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM

another question is after driving or being idle for maybe 40-45minutes
there is "white smoke" that comes out of the muffler, could it be because i
put seafoam in the gas tank 5 days ago then added b12 yesterday or is it related with that oil leak

Last edited by phenoyz; 10-03-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Valve stem seals are leaking a bit, mine does that too if I let it idle for a long time (10mins). The seafoam could be adding to the smoke, but give it a couple more tanks of gas and see how it does. My 3.0 likes 20w-50 regular oil, and a K&N oil filter. I am running a Mobil one filter right now but for 3.oo more I can get the K&N. I stopped using Fram since I read that they got SUPER cheap with their filters. How many miles do you have on yer Monty?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Obakemono
Valve stem seals are leaking a bit, mine does that too if I let it idle for a long time (10mins). The seafoam could be adding to the smoke, but give it a couple more tanks of gas and see how it does. My 3.0 likes 20w-50 regular oil, and a K&N oil filter. I am running a Mobil one filter right now but for 3.oo more I can get the K&N. I stopped using Fram since I read that they got SUPER cheap with their filters. How many miles do you have on yer Monty?

Bought it last week, It got 120k Miles, its 2000 ES, 3.0L. 2wd

There is also this "NOISE" it is like --IF YOU RUB A
PLASTIC or PLASTIC MOLDING/TRIM AGAINST A RUNNING TIRE that is the noisethat it makes.
I can hear it underneath...So hard to describe da noise, its small noise
(like squeeking) I am uneasy with that noise since i will be using this for
long drive soon...

mechanic said it could be "BEARING"???
he said he will also check transmission.

other than that truck drives smoothly--no vibrations--brakes are strong

thanks for the reply

Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 AM

Could be a brake pad rubbing. Check the wear on your front pads, and also do a visual check for anything out of the norm. Do you know when these items were last changed:Timing belt, spark plugs, belts (all three), rear axle oil (needs 24mm socket to change and 2 qts of diff oil), lube on the front end (grease), engine oil, tranny fluid, air filter? These are good things to look at to ensure good running. Mine has 114000 on it right now and I have done all of these items except a brake fluid flush and tranny fluid/filter.
Best place to get tranny fluid w/free shipping:
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...mitsubishi.htm

Rob